content; satiated; having one's desires satisfied
bulk
pleased
unnecessary
effusive

what does mean would not hold water?

Meaning of 'accede' | commited is more preferred than commissioned
what does mean would not hold water? #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 31, 2008 18:23 pm   what does mean would not hold water?

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", question 2

He was told that the new plan he'd developed just wouldn't hold water -- means: ..........

(a) woulnd't float
(b) wouldn't work
(c) wouldn't swim
(d) wouldn't sink

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", answer 2

He was told that the new plan he'd developed just wouldn't hold water -- means: wouldn't work.

Correct answer: (b) wouldn't work
_________________________

what does mean would not hold water?

Lilo
Lilo

what does mean would not hold water? #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 31, 2008 20:05 pm   what does mean would not hold water?

If a scheme, idea, plan or whatever is described as 'not holding water' it suggests that it has so many weaknesses or flaws that it cannot be practical. The idea comes from the image of a container with a hole in it. As you pour the water into it, so the water comes out through the hole.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
what does mandated mean?What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?what origin is this made up from?Idiom "by ear"What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean?"come into work" vs "come in to work"answer can be rely and hang both what say?what do you mean by wimp?what's the different between uneven and unequal?Why is "I feel like such a gullible person"?I guess the comma after the word 'elect' was a typo.raise vs. arise