housemaid; servant; housekeeper
shape
flight
sound
domestic

Meaning of "doing least of all"

What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to clock up'? Is it an idiom? | Haste vs. hurry
Meaning of "doing least of all" #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 13, 2005 21:19 pm   Meaning of "doing least of all"

Test No. incompl/elem-15 "An Easy Question", question 9

All right let me ask you what you like doing least of .........?

(a) everything
(b) all
(c) entire
(d) that

Test No. incompl/elem-15 "An Easy Question", answer 9

All right let me ask you what you like doing least of all?

Correct answer: (b) all
_________________________

explanation???

Garbetta
Garbetta

Least #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:37 am   Least

This means the speaker wants to know what you don't like in the smallest amount.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What you like doing least of ...? #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am   What you like doing least of ...?

(a) everything
(b) all
(c) entire
(d) that

Ok excuse me if i don?t write correctly i am new in english, my question is why this quesiton doesnt have the auxiliar do after the wh question what, how can i know when it is used and when not?
Blazya

Location: Sabinas, Coahuila, Mexico

What you like doing least of ...? #4 (permalink) Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:53 pm   What you like doing least of ...?

blazya wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Blazya!

All right, let me ask you what you like doing least of all.

This is an indirect question, and that's why the auxiliary 'do' is not needed (nor is the question mark compulsory). The direct question would be:

All right, what do you like doing least of all?

Another example of direct/indirect questions:

What kind of music do you like?
I'd like to know what kind of music you like.

Indirec/direct questions #5 (permalink) Mon Jan 08, 2007 18:46 pm   Indirec/direct questions

ok conchita thanks a lot i had already studied that theme and i couldnt remember it but now i won?t forget it. One more thing, do you make sentences in spanish i mean are you able to write in spanish?
Blazya

Location: Sabinas, Coahuila, Mexico

Indirec/direct questions #6 (permalink) Mon Jan 08, 2007 22:58 pm   Indirec/direct questions

blazya wrote:
are you able to write in spanish?

Yes, I am.

Meaning of "doing least of all" #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 25, 2009 19:52 pm   Meaning of "doing least of all"

please tell me why can't it be: least of everything?

Meaning of "doing least of all" #8 (permalink) Tue Jul 21, 2009 17:48 pm   Meaning of "doing least of all"

what is the difference in meaning of
1)least of all
2)least of everything

thanks in advance!
Amalmusica

Meaning of "doing least of all" #9 (permalink) Tue Oct 06, 2009 22:56 pm   Meaning of "doing least of all"

I think there is no difference between in them
Farzana

Meaning of "doing least of all" #10 (permalink) Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:17 pm   Meaning of "doing least of all"

sorry sir i could't get the sence why you selected that "all" is right answer rather than others ,,actuly i am new here and i dont know much english..
Ravneet2

Meaning of "doing least of all" #11 (permalink) Wed Dec 15, 2010 13:11 pm   Meaning of "doing least of all"

Hi Ravneet2,

"Least of all" is a set expression, that is the reason why "all" is right and the rest of the choices are wrong.
You can find a definition here: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/least+of+all
Also refer to Alan's definition at the top of the page.
_________________

Meaning of "doing least of all" #12 (permalink) Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:33 am   Meaning of "doing least of all"

hello
i hardly can this test.can you help me to underestand this expression,and improve my language
BORHANmohamad

Please help me with letter writing!Elephants never forgetwhat time do you clock off?turn the clock back.since two that morningHe left me alone for an hoursome terrible handwritingWhat does the word 'thrust' mean?What does 'him' mean?why do I should choose worry not think?what does "when do you clock with" mean?How do we use "just"?Meaning of 'make do with'