place where grain is stored; granary; storehouse; collection; store
tray
attitude
garner
cargo

commited is more preferred than commissioned

what does mean would not hold water? | What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean?
commited is more preferred than commissioned #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:14 am   commited is more preferred than commissioned

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", question 5

The detective came to the conclusion that the crime had been commissioned by person or persons unknown.

(a) detective
(b) conclusion
(c) commissioned
(d) unknown

ESL/EFL Test #12 "Latin Words", answer 5

The detective came to the conclusion that the crime had been committed by person or persons unknown.

Correct entry: committed
The error was: (c) commissioned
_________________________

commited is more preferred than commissioned.

Ly
Ly

commited is more preferred than commissioned #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:58 am   commited is more preferred than commissioned

.
Yes. 'Commission' is seldom used of crimes.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
commited is more preferred than commissioned #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:28 am   commited is more preferred than commissioned

You can use 'commission' as a noun with the word 'crime' (i.e. the commission of a crime), but it would be unusual to use 'commission' as a verb with the word 'crime'.

Look at the definitions of the verb 'commission' here.
.
_________________

article questionwhat does mandated mean?What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?what origin is this made up from?Idiom "by ear""come into work" vs "come in to work"answer can be rely and hang both what say?what do you mean by wimp?what's the different between uneven and unequal?Why is "I feel like such a gullible person"?I guess the comma after the word 'elect' was a typo.raise vs. arise