Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

side of a hill; incline; upward or downward slant; degree to which a surface deviates from the vertical
slope
headquarters
enthusiasm
metropolitan
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"come into work" vs "come in to work"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean? | I guess the comma after the word 'elect' was a typo.
listening exercises
"come into work" vs "come in to work" #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 14:08 pm   "come into work" vs "come in to work"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #173 "Simple Present, Simple Past, Simple Future", question 1

The candidate ......... many voters when she ran for governor last year.

(a) impress
(b) impressed
(c) will impress

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #173 "Simple Present, Simple Past, Simple Future", answer 1

The candidate impressed many voters when she ran for governor last year.

Correct answer: (b) impressed

Which is correct, "come into work" or "come in to work"?

Mirray
Mirray

"come into work" vs "come in to work" #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 17:13 pm   "come into work" vs "come in to work"

Hi Mirray,

Code:
Which is correct, "come into work" or "come in to work"?

It depends where the speaker is. If you are asking someone at home to come to their/your place of work, you would say: Come into work if you are feeling all right or stay at home if you are unwell.

If you see someone in their/your place of work and you want to know if they intend to work, you would ask: Have you come in to work (have you come in (in order) to work?) or are you just visiting?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"come into work" vs "come in to work" #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:10 pm   "come into work" vs "come in to work"

Alan wrote:
Have you come in to work (have you come in (in order) to work?) or are you just visiting?

Hello Alan,

I know it might sound stupid, but why not '... or you are just visiting?'

Best regards
SkiIucK
I'm here quite often ;-)

"come into work" vs "come in to work" #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:34 pm   "come into work" vs "come in to work"

Hi,

Quote:
'... or you are just visiting?'

sounds a bit unnatural to me.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean? | I guess the comma after the word 'elect' was a typo.
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
what does it mean 'push the envelope'?what does it mean 'his thinking cap'?article questionwhat does mandated mean?What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?what origin is this made up from?Idiom "by ear"commited is more preferred than commissionedwhat does mean would not hold water?answer can be rely and hang both what say?what do you mean by wimp?what's the different between uneven and unequal?