panel containing buttons for connecting and disconnecting telephone or electrical circuits
switchboard
gasoline
extension
capacity

what origin is this made up from?

Idiom "by ear" | difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?
what origin is this made up from? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 02, 2008 16:59 pm   what origin is this made up from?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #13 "Squeaky Clean", question 1

The auditors made a thorough check on all aspects of the company and decided to give it a clean bill of health.

(a) confirm it was satisfactory
(b) decide it was hygienic
(c) believe it was clean
(d) agree it was organized

ESL/EFL Test #13 "Squeaky Clean", answer 1

The auditors made a thorough check on all aspects of the company and decided to confirm it was satisfactory.

Correct answer: (a) confirm it was satisfactory
_________________________

what origin is this made up from?

Ilona
Ilona

what origin is this made up from? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 02, 2008 18:05 pm   what origin is this made up from?

Etymology:
based on the literal meaning of a clean bill of health (= a statement from a health official that all the people working on a ship are in good health)

source
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does shortage mean?what does it mean 'push the envelope'?what does it mean 'his thinking cap'?article questionwhat does mandated mean?What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean?"come into work" vs "come in to work"commited is more preferred than commissionedwhat does mean would not hold water?answer can be rely and hang both what say?what do you mean by wimp?what's the different between uneven and unequal?