garbage; trash; waste
resume
traffic
refuse
daily

what does mandated mean?

Meaning of "high street" | article question
what does mandated mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 pm   what does mandated mean?

ESL/EFL Test #259 "US Government Questions Test (7)", question 6

A study or survey regarding citizens' thoughts and opinions about a certain subject is called an ......... poll.

(a) subject
(b) mandated
(c) opinion

ESL/EFL Test #259 "US Government Questions Test (7)", answer 6

A study or survey regarding citizens' thoughts and opinions about a certain subject is called an opinion poll.

Correct answer: (c) opinion
_________________________

what does mandated mean?
safa
safa

what does mandated mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:42 pm   what does mandated mean?

'Mandated' is used in the sense of describing something that is required by law or certain regulations. It is associated with the noun 'mandate' which is another word for power or authority. When a political party has won an election and has the largest number of members, it it generally considered that the party has the mandate to govern.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
what does it mean insulates? aggravates?what does "portcullises" mean?pull the wool over your eyes? Is that an idiom?Put one over on him? Is that an idiom or a phrasal verb?What does shortage mean?what does it mean 'push the envelope'?what does it mean 'his thinking cap'?What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?what origin is this made up from?Idiom "by ear"What does the idiom 'barking up the wrong tree' mean?"come into work" vs "come in to work"