freight; luggage; baggage; load
priority
paint
occurrence
cargo

What does the latest news mean?

The Fiesta is preventing our delivery... | Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLY
What does the latest news mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:14 am   What does the latest news mean?

ESL/EFL Test #23 "On TV tonight", question 6

Next we'll have the ......... news.

(a) latest
(b) newest
(c) later
(d) newer

ESL/EFL Test #23 "On TV tonight", answer 6

Next we'll have the latest news.

Correct answer: (a) latest

Next we'll have the later news.
_________________________

hello,
could you explain me why is latest?
Prinno
Prinno

What does the latest news mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:11 am   What does the latest news mean?

.
That is the collocation. 'The latest news' is the way to say 'the most recent news' in English.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does the latest news mean? #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 21, 2010 17:40 pm   What does the latest news mean?

Dear Toresten,
I'm really greatful for your last grammar tests. I'm going ahead.My score ranged from (8 to 10) by ten.
Ahmed Mohamed Mekky
amekky99@yahoo.com
Amekky

Location: Egypt

What does the latest news mean? #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:46 am   What does the latest news mean?

In this sentence, I used 'newest', it's wrong. I don't understand. Can you explain it for me?
Thank you
Kimlien0704

What does the latest news mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:19 am   What does the latest news mean?

'latest' means most recent and is the best word pertaining to 'news'. We simply don't say 'newest news' or 'new news'. The word 'news' itself implies that something is fairly new. We might use the term 'old news' to indicate something that is no longer 'news'.
_________________

Test incompl/inter-222, Question 4Test incompl/inter-222, User's Answer 3Test incompl/elem-191, User's Answer 10What does pass away mean?Takes afterTotal confusion!why in this sentence we can not use leaved?How can cat be sitting on a wall?What does speak up mean?There's little hopeGive a lift to someoneDifference between choose and findMeaning of "that said"