preference; precedence; higher rank; privileged position; seniority
incline
premises
altitude
priority

what does it mean 'push the envelope'?

what does it mean 'his thinking cap'? | Difference between rise and raise
what does it mean 'push the envelope'? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:31 am   what does it mean 'push the envelope'?

She knew that she was really pushing the ......... by putting that racy picture of a girl in a skimpy bikini on front page of the local paper.

(a) acceptability
(b) envelope
(c) perimeter
(d) buttons

She knew that she was really pushing the envelope by putting that racy picture of a girl in a skimpy bikini on front page of the local paper.

Correct answer: (b) envelope
_________________________

what does it mean 'push the envelope' ?

Chahra
Chahra

Pushing the envelope #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 04, 2008 14:23 pm   Pushing the envelope

Hello Chahra,
The meaning is: "To attempt to extend the current limits of performance. To innovate, or go beyond commonly accepted boundaries.." In this case, it's the latter meaning in bold letters.
Take care.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
usual vs. usuallywhat does it mean insulates? aggravates?what does "portcullises" mean?pull the wool over your eyes? Is that an idiom?Put one over on him? Is that an idiom or a phrasal verb?What does shortage mean?article questionwhat does mandated mean?What does the idiom 'hit the hay' mean?difference between phrasal verb 'cut back' and 'cut off'?what origin is this made up from?Idiom "by ear""come into work" vs "come in to work"