to oppose; to retaliate; to react; to strike back
suppose
certificate
counter
dictate

what does "portcullises" mean?

pull the wool over your eyes? Is that an idiom? | what does it mean insulates? aggravates?
what does "portcullises" mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:38 am   what does "portcullises" mean?

The police chief decided to pull out all the ......... on the investigation. He really needed to catch the dangerous, wanted criminal quickly.

(a) gates
(b) stops
(c) portcullises
(d) bars

The police chief decided to pull out all the stops on the investigation. He really needed to catch the dangerous, wanted criminal quickly.

Correct answer: (b) stops
_________________________

what mean by portcullises

Nathan
Nathan

what does "portcullises" mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:18 am   what does "portcullises" mean?

The meaning is: "a grating of iron hung over the gateway of a fortified place and lowered between grooves to prevent passage."
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between form and kinddifference between 'few', 'little' and 'some'?What does 'walk back up' mean?phrase: to make one's wayusual vs. usuallyPut one over on him? Is that an idiom or a phrasal verb?What does shortage mean?what does it mean 'push the envelope'?what does it mean 'his thinking cap'?article questionwhat does mandated mean?Why this sentence must be use 'had'? Is it past tense?Which article does fit in here -- 'the' or 'a'?