Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to revise; to alter; to make changes and corrections prior to printing
pretense
edit
plane
specify
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

why correct answer is road why not others?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between should and shall | Can you hear what he is...
listening exercises
why correct answer is road why not others? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:48 am   why correct answer is road why not others?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #292 "English Slang Idioms (14)", question 2

He decided to flag down the waitress and order one for the ..........

(a) road
(b) posterity
(c) head
(d) cuff

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #292 "English Slang Idioms (14)", answer 2

He decided to flag down the waitress and order one for the road.

Correct answer: (a) road

why correct answer is road why not others?

Nathan
Nathan

One for the road #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:16 am   One for the road

Hello,
"Order one for the road" is a common expression that refers to "something given to someone when that person is leaving so that he or she may enjoy it during the trip home." These questions test the students' abilities to find the common "English Slang Idioms."
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
why correct answer is road why not others? #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 27, 2013 19:24 pm   why correct answer is road why not others?

Today we would say that he ordered a take-away meal.

why correct answer is road why not others? #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:35 am   why correct answer is road why not others?

have found a new explanation which we also use in my mother tongue.
one for the road=
(informal) a last alcoholic drink before you leave a party, etc

why correct answer is road why not others? #5 (permalink) Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:00 pm   why correct answer is road why not others?

This is the first time that I have seen this thread and I think Linda's answer above in message #2 is incorrect. She seems to have been a little confused.

Your last answer above in message #4 is the correct meaning.
"Order one for the road" is a common expression that refers to "have one final drink before one leaves".
Language Coach

one for the road #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 03, 2015 15:12 pm   one for the road

I know the expression as "one for the road", and I also know it the same way Kati and Beeesneees have described. So, for example, someone at a party announces that he/she is leaving. One of the other party-goers might then say something such as "How about one for the road before you go?"

The definition that Linda gave seems to have been taken word-for-word from one of two definitions given in the Urban Dictionary. (The second meaning given there is much too crude to mention in polite company...) I agree that it doesn't seem to get the meaning quite right.

The idea of ordering something to eat/drink later (possibly while driving, or after one gets home) is often expressed as "take out" or "to go".

why correct answer is road why not others? #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2015 18:40 pm   why correct answer is road why not others?

Hi,

Many thanks for remembering me this expression. Unfortunately I have forgotten it. I hope that you reminded me I will never forget. I was thinking about what can be the reason that somebody asks for an alcoholic drink before leaving the party. Perhaps Lynda thought this. I am sure if I asked "one for the road" I would like to go home in high spirits. Don't care about it that next morning perhaps I would have a hangover.

There is a Russian joke. Ivan asks for ten glasses of vodka. When the waiter put on his table he threw down the first glass of vodka and the last one. The waiter was shocked and asked 'why did you do this?' Ivan said because from the first one I always shiver with cold and from the last I get drunk. (hahaha)

Difference between should and shall | Can you hear what he is...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppedWhat is the meaning of "hold any stock"?Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9Do / Did you have to.................today?difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."enticementplaying with a full deck of cardsIf I were you? Subjuntive?odvious vs obviousWhat is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier?Expression: "Yes, I'll hold"meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."