Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to write a statement of purchases; to make a bill of sale
coin
page
invest
receipt
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

stand v.s. sell

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"get on with" vs. "come up with" | the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?
listening exercises
stand v.s. sell #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:19 am   stand v.s. sell

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #281 "English Slang Idioms (3)", question 3

"You better talk to your wife and work out your problems John, because a house divided against itself cannot .........," he thought to himself.

(a) sleep
(b) sell
(c) fall
(d) stand

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #281 "English Slang Idioms (3)", answer 3

"You better talk to your wife and work out your problems John, because a house divided against itself cannot sell," he thought to himself.

Correct answer: (b) sell

Your answer was: incorrect
"You better talk to your wife and work out your problems John, because a house divided against itself cannot stand," he thought to himself.

Hi,
I believe the answer to the question is stand, and not sell. :)

Matthew 12:25 wrote:
"Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand"
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

stand v.s. sell #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:38 am   stand v.s. sell

Hello,
Yes, it should be stand and not sell. That's an error and will be fixed right away. Good catch!
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
to evrybody #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 24, 2010 23:19 pm   to evrybody

Hello,

I think that the essential part of this sentence:
"a house divided against itself "
Its meaning: a factious, inharmonious family which can't become an unit and their opinion is different about everything cannot stand.

to all #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:26 am   to all

Hello,

I've read just now that in Abraham Lincoln's speech played role this sentence.
The speech title was almost same:" House divided speech"

Quotations from the speech: In my opinion it will not cease, until a crisis shall have been reached, and passed. "A house divided against itself cannot stand."- which a paraphrases a statement by Jesus in New Testament.
Origin: from the Bible Matthew 12:25 /King James version/
"And Jesus threw their thoughts and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.

Jewish writer say on an other place: A religion divided against itself cannot stand.

Kati Svaby

stand v.s. sell #5 (permalink) Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:55 pm   stand v.s. sell

I've read now:
A house divided against itself cannot stand.-nowadays it became a proverb.

Meaning:

Literal meaning (house meaning household).

Origin

From the Bible, Matthew 12:25 (King James Version):

"And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand".

"get on with" vs. "come up with" | the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
sleep that can be interrupted at a moment's noticeWhat does impeachment mean?Mathematics isn't his strong suit.they're back to the basics againkicking him out?finger vs combCaught with his pants down? = caught redhanded?defining vs describingages vs long timeWhat does 'got it back' mean?expression 'going balls to the wall'What does dully mean?'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'