habit; tradition; convention
vacancy
ordinary
illustration
custom

She had laughed is past perfect

"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of" | meaning of deviate
She had laughed is past perfect #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 21, 2003 21:33 pm   She had laughed is past perfect

Dear Alan,

I am sorry to tell you that there might be a little mistake in your test, or better in the answer.

Test No. incompl/elem-13 "Grammar Questions", question 4

Which of these tenses is Past Perfect Simple? It is ..........

(a) She had laughed
(b) She has been laughing
(c) She laughed
(d) She was laughing

Test No. incompl/elem-13 "Grammar Questions", answer 4

Which of these tenses is Past Perfect Simple? It is She had laughed.

Correct answer: (a) She had laughed
_________________________

I tried Elementary test 13.
The fourth question:
Which of these tenses is Past Perfect Simple? It is
I answered with She had laughed
The computer said that is wrong and wrote down the same answer as I did.
I wonder why the computer did that. Neither the question is wrong answered or not but he can't give me my own answer. :?

Best regards
:twisted: teufelchen53
Teufelchen53

Location: Bonn, Germany

I wonder what the computer corrected #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:32 am   I wonder what the computer corrected

Hi Teufelchen,

Thanks for your email. You are absolutely right and the computer is absolutely wrong. I'll pass this on to my colleagues who understand these things.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
I wonder what the computer corrected #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:32 am   I wonder what the computer corrected

Hi, This is a quick note from the english-test.net computer to let you know that I've corrected my mistake :)
English-test.net

Location: Internet

She had laughed is past perfect #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2005 13:43 pm   She had laughed is past perfect

My answer is correct?

Dafna
Dafna

She had laughed is past perfect #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 15, 2005 13:46 pm   She had laughed is past perfect

Yes your answer is correct. She had laughed is Past Perfect.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Playing beach volleyball

She had laughed is past perfect #6 (permalink) Thu Aug 16, 2007 21:10 pm   She had laughed is past perfect

Torsten wrote:

I just wonder, why "she laughed" is not past perfect?
Could you please explain why?
MadokaLiu

She had laughed is past perfect #7 (permalink) Thu Aug 16, 2007 22:49 pm   She had laughed is past perfect

Hi Merry,

Welcome to our forum. "She laughed" is simple past. You probably know some of the English tenses? As I understand there is only one tense in Chinese so having different tenses might be a new concept to you. You can take it one at a time and if you like we can guide you through the process.

Let me know what you think.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A damaged building

She had laughed is past perfect #8 (permalink) Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:37 am   She had laughed is past perfect

Torsten wrote:
Hi Merry,

Let me know what you think.

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your explain. I learned english tenses in high school, Unfortunately, All lessons was teached by Chinese.
so I think I know the english tenses in Chinese words. So Could you tell me all english tenses by english words. or give me a link that can teach me about english tenses. I think it will be more helpful for me. Thank You.

I hope you can get my means.

P.S. For Chinese, We always use different words to express the tenses. so tenses is really confused and a little hard for me.
MadokaLiu

She had laughed is past perfect #9 (permalink) Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:15 am   She had laughed is past perfect

Hi Merry,

You can start by reading this story which illustrates how the simple present can be used.

Let me know what you think.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A fruit and vegetable stand

She had laughed is past perfect #10 (permalink) Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:35 am   She had laughed is past perfect

.
And here is a brief overview of the English tenses.
.
_________________

She had laughed is past perfect #11 (permalink) Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:58 pm   She had laughed is past perfect

Mister Micawber wrote:
.
.
Hi Mister,

Thank you. the link you give me is really helpful. Thank You so much
MadokaLiu

The past perfect simple. #12 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:56 am   The past perfect simple.

Teacher Torsten,

(a) She had laughed
(b) She has been laughing
(c) She laughed
(d) She was laughing
my answer is letter A.
Am I correct?
Ellome13

She had laughed is past perfect #13 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:00 am   She had laughed is past perfect

Torsten wrote:
Hi Merry,

Let me know what you think.

Hello Torsten...
I wonder how can a single tense serve the whole language to differentiate all the times of events..Chinese language is already a difficult one, I believe, for a foreigner to learn ..but all these disparities could lead to more difficulty to understand the grammar of the language.
_________________
Sahid59

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59

Location: Chennai, South India

She had laughed is past perfect #14 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 am   She had laughed is past perfect

Hey Torsten i've made a mistake in question 4. but i think it is not bad to have 9 from 10. i've checked info about right answer, so thanks.
Shustrik

She had laughed is past perfect #15 (permalink) Mon Jun 22, 2009 15:47 pm   She had laughed is past perfect

ohh my god
actually I knew that past perfect is with using had+past participle of the verb..
but my bad, I didn't read the question carefully and couldn't pay attention to the word "perfect" in the question
well, actually I've learned from school saying like
"Past Perfect tense"
then why is it said like Past perfect simple?

anyway accidentally I thought it was to write simple past..cus the question made me a confusion..

thank you my teachers
please correct me

Amal.
Amalmusica

A good dictionary for slang idiomsliability is not a debit or creditDo you have questions not about elephants?What does float one's boat mean?Meaning of 'Species'Throughout at the beginning of a sentence?What does "scenic spot" mean?Why is rye uncountable?Meaning of murdererWhat does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?Do we say 'to get hold of money' to say 'to make a lot of money'?He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interestContraction of "do not" is "don't"