to tie down
chain
renew
support
tackle

What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Difference between deflated and depressed | proof reading on Weather. Pls check. Thanks
What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Chit Chat: In the supermarket", question 10

Old lady: Well you see this supermarket is so big I can't find the way ......... I've been here since Tuesday!

(a) on
(b) off
(c) out
(d) through

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Chit Chat: In the supermarket", answer 10

Old lady: Well you see this supermarket is so big I can't find the way out I've been here since Tuesday!

Correct answer: (c) out
_________________________

Anasis
Anasis

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 11, 2008 14:17 pm   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

.
Locate the exit.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 18:50 pm   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

,,.......I've been here since Tuesday!'' -what a sense does this part of sentence mean? The old lady has been in shop since Tuesday untill now-Thursday!?, and didn't go home, is it a joke??

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 22:59 pm   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

.
Yes, a joke.
.
_________________

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 am   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Instead of there is a joke, i feel pity to the old women..
Watie

Location: Indonesia

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #6 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2009 14:02 pm   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Then you have not yet discovered the English sense of humour. Why should you feel pity? The woman does not exist.
_________________

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #7 (permalink) Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:35 am   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Thanks Mr. Micawber for your response.

(mmmm) I know sir, it is just a kind of joke. Since I read the first question and the next question until the end, I feel really pity maybe because it is strongly engaged my heart. So, eventhough I know it is not realistic, if I was there, surely i would help that old woman. It is because i am very sensitive and I neglected the sense of humour.

Please, correct me if I made mistake of grammar.

Many thanks.
Watie

Location: Indonesia

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #8 (permalink) Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:12 am   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Thanks, Mr. Micawber, for your response.

I know it is just a kind of joke. Since I read the first question and the next question to the end, I really felt pity, maybe because it strongly engaged my heart. So, even though I know it is not real, if I were there, I would surely help that old woman. It is because I am very sensitive that I neglected the humour.

Please correct me if I made any grammar mistakes.

Many thanks.

(It is not sensitive to mention one's own sensitivity, Watie)
_________________

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #9 (permalink) Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:44 am   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Can I just go back to the first post?

(a) on
(b) off
(c) out
(d) through

The sentence is correct. Could be a joke or humor but in English there is what we call as "Figures of Speech" or "Figurative language" and this is what makes English fun...Like what Mr Micawber said, "humor."

"I've been here since Tuesday." is called Exaggeration
We overstate things. overstate: "over statement"

The supermarket is so big that I couldn't find my way out (or get out)...I've been here since Tuesday.
In real life, this is impossible but the writer would just want to illustrate that It's SERIOUSLY a BIG Supermarket. Jokingly saying "It will take 24-48 hours for you to get out if you get lost."

Example: "Don't tell this secret to anybody. Or else I'm going to kill you."
The writer is not serious in committing murder just because of a secret that would possibly spread. He just wanted to say, "some serious thing will happen" but not really "murder the person."

Example: "His house is so big, so spacious that I would have to ride a car to go to the bathroom." --haha, this is just an exaggeration.
Grasi02

Location: Manila, Philipines

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #10 (permalink) Sun Dec 06, 2009 14:48 pm   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Mister Micawber wrote:

Many thanks.

All over the differences of perception, Thank you Mr. Micawber for your correction and guidance english grammar.
Watie

Location: Indonesia

What does the expression "find the way out" mean? #11 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 am   What does the expression "find the way out" mean?

Poor, poor old lady...
Helenka501

Location: Ukraine

curb appealon walk-ins and reach-ins???meaning of The final fraction is ‘fines’ – nameless dust.now they vs. they nowMy favorite and least favorite school subjectTest incompl/advan-875, User's Answer 8like to watch vs. like watchingWhat is a recliner?why we don't use to quit?How long does the title search take?looking up informationDifference between possibly and probablyPlease explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"