to establish an agreement; to settle a dispute
precondition
award
compromise
alter

What does 'A little long in the tooth for all this' mean?

Relative pronouns that and which | What are the Marine Corps?
What does 'A little long in the tooth for all this' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 11, 2008 18:32 pm   What does 'A little long in the tooth for all this' mean?

"I am not surprised that the Sergeant Major couldn't complete the brigade. He will probably retire soon. He is getting a little ......... in the tooth for all this."

(a) long
(b) gray
(c) short
(d) weak

"I am not surprised that the Sergeant Major couldn't complete the brigade. He will probably retire soon. He is getting a little long in the tooth for all this."

Correct answer: (a) long

"I am not surprised that the Sergeant Major couldn't complete the brigade. He will probably retire soon. He is getting a little gray in the tooth for all this."
_________________________

what does that mean? "A little long in the tooth for all this"

Olena
Olena

What does 'A little long in the tooth for all this' mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:54 am   What does 'A little long in the tooth for all this' mean?

.
Long in the tooth = old
.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
to all #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 04, 2010 13:08 pm   to all

hello,
This expression based on the idea that teeth grow longer in some animals as they get older.
Thanks:Kati
_________________

Test incompl/inter-154, Question 7English Grammar Exercises::Advanced Tests::Naples, ItalyTest incompl/advan-743, Question 1Could you tell me what crunch it is?How is this baldness called?Is how's tricks American English?Relative clauses, are these examples correct?What does for the time being mean?Computers are for the birds?For Pete's sake?fruitWhat does in your face mean?Usage of among: 'sensible comparison among the different vacuum'