to look on; to see; to observe; to testify; to vouch for
accord
mollify
transcend
witness

I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station

I make gravy when I roast a turkey. vs I make lights when I roast a turkey. | Meaning of illness
I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 16, 2005 14:57 pm   I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station

Test No. incompl/elem-3 "Drive carefully", question 5

When your train arrives, I'll ......... you from the station.

(a) take
(b) bring
(c) fetch
(d) remove

Test No. incompl/elem-3 "Drive carefully", answer 5

When your train arrives, I'll fetch you from the station.

Correct answer: (c) fetch
_________________________

is the word (pick) fit?
Waleed

I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 16, 2005 16:39 pm   I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you

These options are possible:

I'll fetch you from the station. or
I'll pick you up from the station.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Weightlifting

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of fetch: If your train arrive, I'll fetch you from the station. #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 am   Usage of fetch: If your train arrive, I'll fetch you from the station.

Dear Torsten,
I just did an English test, and there is a sentence : If your train arrive, I'll fetch you from the station. I don't understand the phrasal fetch someone from. Can you explain this. Thank you. Have a good day.
Thy
Thy

I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:42 am   I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station

Hi Thy,

Please read this: What does 'fetch' mean?

As you can see, the sentence reads 'When you train arrives....'

TOEIC listening, photographs: Solar energy panels

usage of "fetch from" and "shake by" #5 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 22:24 pm   usage of "fetch from" and "shake by"

Just now I was doing some english tests from the website and found out some doubts from the questions, can anyone able to help me answer these, please? Thanks.

1. When your train arrives, I will fetch you from the station.
What does 'fetch' mean from the sentense? Does it mean: I will walk with you from the station to where the train stops when it arrives.

2. When you first meet someone, you usually shake them by the hand.
Does 'by' mean in the sentense is same as through?
Why I can't use with?

Can I use : you usually make handshaking.
Sa22

I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station #6 (permalink) Tue May 12, 2009 2:58 am   I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station

.
What does 'fetch' mean from the sentense? -- I will pick you up and bring you home (or wherever the speaker is)

Does 'by' mean in the sentense is same as through?-- No
Why I can't use with?-- It is not English.

Can I use : you usually make handshaking.-- No.

Your choices are: 'shake hands with someone'; 'shake someone by the hand'.
.
_________________

answer to the questions in the test to lesson 2 #7 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 18:27 pm   answer to the questions in the test to lesson 2

Dear teacher,

Just I have taken randomly the test "Drive carefully".

I'm not agree with your correct answer to the questions in the test to lesson 2,"Drive carefully". Sentence 5: When your train arrives, I'll fetch you from the station.

In my point of wiev it should be: ...I will take you (up) from the station. And what do you mean about: to pick smb up? I was looking in the Oxford-PWN Dictionary and the meaning of "fetch" is rather slightly different and not commonly used in spoken English.

Jan from Poland
Jan64

Location: Poland-Wielkopolska

I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station #8 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 0:09 am   I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station

Dear Jan,

I'm afraid you are wrong. "Fetch you" is correct.

"Fetch" is a very common word in spoken English.
_________________

I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station #9 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 4:12 am   I'll pick you up or I'll fetch you from the station

As a matter of fact, your other information is wrong, too, Jan. 'Take (someone) up' is also not used the way you have tried to use it. 'Take (someone) up (on) something' means 'accept one's challenge/offer'. 'Pick (someone) up', means 'meet someone with a vehicle and transport that person somewhere'.

I suggest that you find another dictionary.
_________________

Test incompl/inter-840, User's Answer 4What does wisdom mean?What do coal and cubicle mean?Test incompl/elem-247, User's Answer 10We always use "is a" not "are a"...Sentence errorDifference between "a good many" and "many a good"?The skating pair?Action: He arrives in California at 10:00."No sweat" does it the same as "without breaking a sweat"?You'll find a date to the prom if you can fix your intro.shouldn't have any more beer?You really burned your fingers this time?