city
discretion
flight
fix
town

Is raise cain an idiom?

drew a line vs. painted a line | meaning of "Come down with"
Is raise cain an idiom? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 19:45 pm   Is raise cain an idiom?

"Your daddy is going to ......... cain when he finds out you got detention again," Tommy said to Will.

(a) start
(b) call
(c) raise
(d) stop

"Your daddy is going to raise cain when he finds out you got detention again," Tommy said to Will.

Correct answer: (c) raise
_________________________

What does raise cain mean? If it's an idiom I have never heard of it. Maybe it's just outdated?

Ron
Ron

Raise Cain #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 19, 2008 17:23 pm   Raise Cain

This expression means: when a person (especially a parent) is going to get angry and possibly punish someone for his/her bad behavior. This is an expression that is still used today. It is an older expression but people still use the expression in everyday conversation at times.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
using the following words or subordinating conjuctions after, although, as...What does 'annoying' mean?What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?What's the difference between a folktale and an essay?difference between dressing down and dressing upthinking of buying vs. thinking to buyIdiom: an arm and a legWhat is the meaning of 'smacking'?What does 'stance' mean?What does 'loose' mean?Human wants are regarded as unlimited but acutal wants are what?Idiom "lost his shirt"What word we could use instead of?