to request the presence of; to solicit; to attract; to encourage; to promote
station
improve
invite
worry

Why "the same"?

When do we use "like" and when "as"? | Conspiration twice
Why "the same"? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 19, 2004 17:28 pm   Why "the same"?

Test No. incompl/inter-55 "Hear my Story", question 2

I'm afraid it was the ......... old story with her all over again because she's started arriving late at work again.

(a) same
(b) like
(c) similar
(d) parallel

Test No. incompl/inter-55 "Hear my Story", answer 2

I'm afraid it was the same old story with her all over again because she's started arriving late at work again.

Correct answer: (a) same

Hi everybody! Explain , please. Why you use "the same'. I think "similar" is fitted too.

Many thanks
Schoolboy
Schoolboy

The same old story #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 19, 2004 22:09 pm   The same old story

Dear Schoolboy,

You'll probably agree that there is quite a difference between 'the same old story' and 'a similar story'.
As you know the English is language is full of idiomatic expressions - 'the same old story' is one of them.
Idomatic expressions are fixed - you cannot change them.
Here is the sentence you are referring to:

TOEIC listening, photographs: Breaking the rock

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Same similar #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 19, 2004 22:55 pm   Same similar

Hi Schoolboy,

Just to add to what Torsten has already written. I believe you want to write: 'the similar old story'. Clearly this doesn't work because the article 'the' defines the story and therefore indicates that it is exactly THE SAME, in other words it hasn't changed from what it was before. If you say: 'a similar old story' which is not in fact the idiom (the same old story) you are indicating that it has a similarity with what has happened before but it is not EXACTLY THE SAME.

_________________

Same similar #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:23 pm   Same similar

Hi Alan and Torsten! Thank you for your help.

Schoolboy
Schoolboy

What is a sales clerk?Meaning of GraspQuiet as a mouseSame questions?Meaning of rendezvousUnknowing, unawareRefuse and rejectWill be of no valueA sort of back watermeaning of "a sort of back number"Meaning of "Back handed compliment"Red-collar and blue collarStuffed shirt