to write one's name by hand; to sign one's name
nurse
watch
autograph
found

Difference between hear and listen to

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Overcome with emotion vs. overtaken by a car | for starters
Difference between hear and listen to #16 (permalink) Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:44 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

Husseinelsh wrote:
I don't understand anything

Welcome to the forums.

Everyone has to start somewhere.
_________________

to Beeeneeez #17 (permalink) Tue Jul 27, 2010 22:30 pm   to Beeeneeez

I would have never found out it.
Thanks:
Kati
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Hear/listen #18 (permalink) Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 am   Hear/listen

If you hear something it is because you have ears and are not deaf. If you listen TO something then you are paying particular attention to what you can hear.

Hi Alan,

I understand thhat we use " listen " when we are paying particular attention to what we want to hear.

"if I like the concert, so i will listen the concert every monday on radio".

so why we can not use " listen" ?
Yoki

Re: Difference between hear and listen to #19 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:35 am   Re: Difference between hear and listen to

Elaine,
Thanks for your explanation. I really worry about my grammar before this and of course this is one of the problem. Difficulties to differentiate and using the right word. What i need to do is to listen and read everyday, ask for help if i don't understand & to ensure this continuous effort will never die :)
thanks!

cheer,
Nuriz

Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Difference between hear and listen to #20 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 am   Difference between hear and listen to

Hi Nuriz,

Every day (a two word expression) means daily/each day.
Everyday ( a one word expression) actually just means ordinary or commonplace.
_________________

Difference between hear and listen to #21 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:44 am   Difference between hear and listen to

Hi Bz,

A friend in deed, is a friend indeed.

Kati
_________________

Difference between hear and listen to #22 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 am   Difference between hear and listen to

Hi Kati,

The original saying is:
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
In other words, when you are needy, the person who will help you then is a true friend.
_________________

Difference between hear and listen to #23 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:59 am   Difference between hear and listen to

Hi Bz,
There isn't big difference what you wrote and what I wrote only we use a comma. I see in English there isn't comma. Of course I know what means this proverb and you
also. But You didn't understand why I wrote this. You are right we are not friends.

Thanks:
kati
_________________

Difference between hear and listen to #24 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 am   Difference between hear and listen to

Hi Kati,

There is a difference in what we wrote here:
You wrote:
A friend in deed...
I wrote
A friend in need...
_________________

Difference between hear and listen to #25 (permalink) Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:19 am   Difference between hear and listen to

Hi BZ,

This was a typo. It escaped my attention. "Let he who is blameless cast the first stone.

Yes, I am correcting:
A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Have good day:
kati
_________________

ms.beessness.. thank you :) #26 (permalink) Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:20 am   ms.beessness.. thank you :)

ms.beeesness,
i really don't know about this..could you please share with me some phrases so that i can understand more clear about this?

cheer,
:)

Beeesneees wrote:
Hi Nuriz,

Nuriz

Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Everyday / every day #27 (permalink) Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:48 am   Everyday / every day

The one-word modifier everyday and the two-word phrase every day are not interchangeable.

A simple way to test which is appropriate is to substitute "each day" in place of "every day / everyday." If "each day" works, use every day (two words); if "each day" does not work, use everyday.
For example,
"We have low prices every day" = "We have low prices each day"; therefore, every day is correct – and everyday is incorrect.
"This is an everyday event" cannot be rephrased "This is an each day event," so the one-word adjective everyday is correct.

Yankee provides another useful tip here:
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic8125.html

What’s important to remember is that whether you use it as one word or two depends on its position in the sentence. Are you asking what kind of (a daily occurrence) or are you asking when (it occurs daily)?
Temper tantrums are everyday occurrences (occurrence is a noun) with toddlers.
Worship is an everyday event (event is a noun) at our home.
These are my everyday shoes means these are the shoes that I wear for no special occasions; they’re my general footwear. (Here I admit you can substitute 'daily', but as an adjective, not the more usual adverb).

Every day is an adverb:
My toddler has a temper tantrum every day (when?).
We worship at our home every day (when?).
I wear these shoes every day except for special occasions. Every day means daily in the adverbial sense here.

More information
_________________

Difference between hear and listen to #28 (permalink) Mon Feb 28, 2011 16:44 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

when do we use -ing verbs?
Korina

Difference between hear and listen to #29 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 22:26 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

"I imagine I am there listening to it in person" sounds awkward, and it repeats "listen" twice in the sentence. "I am there watching it" would have been a better option.
Johnny04

Difference between hear and listen to #30 (permalink) Thu Jun 02, 2011 22:51 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

The purpose of this test is to explore the difference between 'hear' and 'listen'.

The focus here is sound, not sight.
_________________

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Test incompl/inter-295, User's Answer 4all the time he's taking it all in.I have a bad coldOne more newcomer…at harvest timeMoney is a non-count noun.could you explain to me the difference between bring to and bring overDifference between I used to and I was used to?Arresting the reporter?Meaning of "get stuck to the skin"Meaning of striding?Have vs. have gotMeaning of 'ape'