Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to bear; to endure
validate
withstand
refer
voyage
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between hear and listen to

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Overcome with emotion vs. overtaken by a car | for starters
listening exercises
Difference between hear and listen to #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2005 16:25 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", question 5

I ......... to the concert every Monday on the radio and I imagine I am there listening to it in person.

(a) listen
(b) am listening
(c) hear
(d) am hearing

Test No. incompl/elem-4 "Listen/Hear", answer 5

I listen to the concert every Monday on the radio and I imagine I am there listening to it in person.

Correct answer: (a) listen

Your answer was: incorrect
I hear to the concert every Monday on the radio and I imagine I am there listening to it in person.

What's the difference between "hear" and "listen" in this phrase: "I hear to the concert every Monday on the radio and I imagine I am there listening to it in person"?

Elaine
Elaine

Hear/listen #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 24, 2005 18:03 pm   Hear/listen

If you hear something it is because you have ears and are not deaf. If you listen TO something then you are paying particular attention to what you can hear.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Hear #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:21 am   Hear

The construction hear to is not possible. If you hear a concert, it is because you are near the sound of the music but you are not there in person and not paying attention to it in detail.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Present continuous vs. present simple #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 10, 2005 13:10 pm   Present continuous vs. present simple

Answer 5

correct sentence:
I listen to the concert every Monday on the radio and I imagine I am there listening to it in person.

Correct answer: (a) listen

Your answer was: incorrect
your sentence:
I am listening to the concert every Monday on the radio and I imagine I am there listening to it in person.

I have learned we can use the present continuous to describe something we regularly do at a certain time.
john

Present continuous vs. present simple #5 (permalink) Sat Sep 10, 2005 13:40 pm   Present continuous vs. present simple

Hi John,

I don't quite follow your comment: I am listening to some music usually means you are doing it now and is an actual as against a regular/repeated action.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Present continuous vs. present simple #6 (permalink) Tue Sep 13, 2005 18:05 pm   Present continuous vs. present simple

In the Cambridge Advances Grammar in Use book it say: if we do something regularly at a certain time we can use the present continuous to describe it. e.g. At 8 o'clock I'm usually driving to work.
So could i say: I am always listening to the concert every monday on the radio?
john

Present continuous #7 (permalink) Tue Sep 13, 2005 19:40 pm   Present continuous

Hi John,

This is becoming a little complicated. If you are talking about a regular/typical/repeated action, it is usual to use the Present Simple. So we have I frequently/always/often listen to the radio on Mondays. The example you quote from the grammar book describes the speaker imagining himself doing something at a specific time. The important word there is specific. As soon as you introduce an adverb such as always, which by its very meaning refers to a repeated action, the Present Simple becomes the preferred choice. And that is the case in my original sentence in Answer 5 (every Monday)

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Difference between hear and listen to #8 (permalink) Thu May 17, 2007 14:51 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

Is it always so, that we have to use the verb "to listen" with preposition?

Could you, please, give me another example, if possible, with a different prepositon?

Or is "to listen" always followed by "to"?
Snoopy_Blah_Blah
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between hear and listen to #9 (permalink) Sat Jun 28, 2008 20:23 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

How much I study English more complicated it become.

Sandra Brasil
Sandra Rita Da Silva

Hear/listen #10 (permalink) Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:22 am   Hear/listen

Hi Alan,

I am sorry for my post, I asked without understanding your reply properly. I am really embarassed.Please forgive me.
Crazy

Test #11 (permalink) Thu Jan 28, 2010 21:02 pm   Test

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

349 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Dear Torsten,

I understand the difference between " hear and listen to" in spite of this my score was 10:9 at the first attempt/5 was bad/ and after 7 days I repeated and my score was 10:8. Each time I committed grammar mistakes which are now became clear./5-10 were bad/
In the 9. test-question I didn't understand the expression:"...he is taking it all in ". Will you explain me its meaning.

Thank you in advance.

Have a good weekend:

Kati Svaby

Difference between hear and listen to #12 (permalink) Mon Mar 15, 2010 15:53 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

I dont understand nothing! I dont know way???
Lindda

Correction #13 (permalink) Mon Mar 15, 2010 18:59 pm   Correction

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

220 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Correction!

I made "number-mistakes" in my previous letter.
Really I wanted to write, I understand the difference between "hear and listen to" in spite of this at my first attempt I made 5 mistakes, in the second one 2 and in the third 1.This last one is problematic to me.
I didn't understand the expression: He is talking it all in..Will you explain me.

Thanks in advance:
Kati Svaby

Difference between hear and listen to #14 (permalink) Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:35 pm   Difference between hear and listen to

I don't understand anything
Husseinelsh

Correction #15 (permalink) Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:43 pm   Correction

Kati Svaby wrote:
I didn't understand the expression: He is talking it all in..Will you explain me.

Thanks in advance:
Kati Svaby

He is taking it all in - this means he is listening carefully to what is being said and he will remember it all. (You might think of it as: He is taking all the information into his brain).
Language Coach

Overcome with emotion vs. overtaken by a car | for starters
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/inter-295, User's Answer 4all the time he's taking it all in.I have a bad coldOne more newcomer…at harvest timeMoney is a non-count noun.could you explain to me the difference between bring to and bring overDifference between I used to and I was used to?Arresting the reporter?Meaning of "get stuck to the skin"Meaning of striding?Have vs. have gotMeaning of 'ape'