tolerance; forbearance
patience
routine
enlightenment
omission

Doesn't the expression "off my hands" mean "out of control"?

meaning of "way up" | meaning of lobby
Doesn't the expression "off my hands" mean "out of control"? #1 (permalink) Sat May 17, 2008 11:48 am   Doesn't the expression "off my hands" mean "out of control"?

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Idioms with Hand", question 7

The FBI told the local police that their case was off their hands. The investigation was now a Federal matter.

(a) lost by them
(b) improvised by them
(c) out of their jurisdiction
(d) out of their control

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Idioms with Hand", answer 7

The FBI told the local police that their case was out of their jurisdiction. The investigation was now a Federal matter.

Correct answer: (c) out of their jurisdiction
_________________________

Surely, D should be the correct answer? C is just a special case of D. C is a way of being out of control. If I were about to win a board game and leave my opponent with just one losing option, it would be appropriate for me to say: "I'm sorry, the situation is off my hands now".
serena

meaning of "way up" | meaning of lobby
What does 'cram' mean?'In order to post' vs 'In order to prevent'"a grain of salt" vs "a grain of sugar"difference between "elect" and "appoint"The way to find words is difficult for meESL certificate?meaning of "taken aback"why not other why head is correct?Isn't the punctuation wrong on this?In the open air means 'outside'?difference between make and doWhat is a game plan?What is the diffrence between reconcile and fit?