location; description of a location
suit
address
clearance
formula

"a grain of salt" vs "a grain of sugar"

'In order to post' vs 'In order to prevent' | difference between "elect" and "appoint"
"a grain of salt" vs "a grain of sugar" #1 (permalink) Tue May 20, 2008 7:53 am   "a grain of salt" vs "a grain of sugar"

Since the man was rather inexperienced, I took his advice with a grain of ..........

(a) sand
(b) wood
(c) salt
(d) sugar

Since the man was rather inexperienced, I took his advice with a grain of salt.

Correct answer: (c) salt

Since the man was rather inexperienced, I took his advice with a grain of sugar.
_________________________

of all the the choices, why salt?

Miron
Miron

Grain of salt #2 (permalink) Tue May 20, 2008 13:41 pm   Grain of salt

'A grain of salt' is a common idiom. It means that "something should not be blindly accepted and/or believed without any doubt or reservation."
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
expression: do businessmeaning of conundrumokay in time vs. good in timeWhat does 'hand it to her' or 'give her credit' mean?to find a table near the windowgoing full throttle as we speakWhat does 'cram' mean?The way to find words is difficult for meESL certificate?meaning of "taken aback"why not other why head is correct?meaning of lobbyIsn't the punctuation wrong on this?