to back; to support; to finance; to subsidize; to promote
join
upgrade
circumvent
sponsor

solve problems and overcome obstacles

turn down means 'refuse'? | Meaning of fragmentary and fragmented?
solve problems and overcome obstacles #1 (permalink) Thu May 22, 2008 1:45 am   solve problems and overcome obstacles

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #128 "Ways of disapproving", question 8

When her father discovered that his daughter wanted to marry a pop singer, he decided to put every ......... in their way to prevent the marriage.

(a) obstacle
(b) burden
(c) impediment
(d) problem

ESL/EFL Test #128 "Ways of disapproving", answer 8

When her father discovered that his daughter wanted to marry a pop singer, he decided to put every obstacle in their way to prevent the marriage.

Correct answer: (a) obstacle

When her father discovered that his daughter wanted to marry a pop singer, he decided to put every problem in their way to prevent the marriage.
_________________________

please teach me..
why "problem" isn't correct?

Halo
Halo

problem vs obstacle #2 (permalink) Thu May 22, 2008 4:23 am   problem vs obstacle

You 'solve' problems but have to 'overcome' obstacles.
n
Nanucbe

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
solve problems and overcome obstacles #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 13:45 pm   solve problems and overcome obstacles

Hello Teachers

Can you explain the difference between "obstacle" and "impediment", please?

Thank you
Thu
_________________
Reach an agreement as ploughing, don't let argument happen at crops.
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

solve problems and overcome obstacles #4 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 23:44 pm   solve problems and overcome obstacles

They are synonyms. A thing or an event that creates difficulties in the path of progress or slows down progress is called an obstacle. An impediment is also something that prevents or slows down progress - an obstacle. The physical problem that makes walking or speaking difficult, is usually referred to as an impediment.
Nanucbe

solve problems and overcome obstacles #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 27, 2010 20:25 pm   solve problems and overcome obstacles

Good Evening!
Is this sentence correct:
I will put every obstacles in their way,to not let their plan be successful.
Aside from 'put every obstacle in their way' is there any other way of using the word 'obstacle'.
Luby

I think that there is no need to select 'more disruptive'.Isn't it true that the smartest girl is the intelligence one?Difference between 'get down to' and 'get through'Does that mean your boss will trust you and will give you higher position?Email feels private, but it's anything but.What does mean "doing damage control"?Why not entirely?Meaning of 'turn down'What is the meaning of outstanding shares?act like means doing like s.b.What does 'in their right mind' mean?What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?What does 'stand by' mean?