Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

mildly; deliberatively; in a temperate manner; not excessively; reasonably
subjectively
overseas
late
moderately
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

You are coming to my house

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Sue felt she should brush up on her math skills... | Drapes are window coverings that hang from horizontal rods that are placed above.
listening exercises
You are coming to my house #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 26, 2005 21:54 pm   You are coming to my house

Test No. incompl/elem-10 "Present Tense", question 9

Next time you ......... to my house, you must bring that book.

(a) come
(b) is coming
(c) are coming

Test No. incompl/elem-10 "Present Tense", answer 9

Next time you come to my house, you must bring that book.

Correct answer: (a) come

Hi,
Why can i say you are coming?
Many thanks for your answer.
Duda

Present continuous #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:54 am   Present continuous

You can use present continuous (you are coming) when you know the time of the event. For example:

I'm glad that you are coming to my house next Friday at 8 pm.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the desert
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
You are coming to my house #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:21 am   You are coming to my house

Hi,dear teacher!
This grammatical point got a bothering problem out of my mind at last.
Many thanks,
Morteza
Morteza
I'm here quite often ;-)

You are coming to my house #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 17:08 pm   You are coming to my house

Hi

Can we say: Next time you'll come to my house, you must bring that book.

thanks!
Penuel
I'm here quite often ;-)

You are coming to my house #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 16, 2009 17:47 pm   You are coming to my house

NO, you can't.

"Next time you come to my house, you must bring that book."

You are coming to my house #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 am   You are coming to my house

Hello!

Can you please give me a grammar reference for above mentioned, e.d. why we have to use Present Simple in "Next time you come to my house"

Thanks!
Penuel
I'm here quite often ;-)

You are coming to my house #7 (permalink) Tue Aug 11, 2009 20:14 pm   You are coming to my house

I'm not a native, but I would hazard a hypothesis: when the tense of the governing clause is present or future, the time clause which expresses something happening prior to or at the same time as something else requires the present tense. Can some native English speaker confirm this assumption of mine? Thank you
Ferdinand Bardamu
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

You are coming to my house #8 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2009 20:44 pm   You are coming to my house

now I get it, so it is simple present because I do not know the exactly time that is going to happen the event?
Gianalineth

You are coming to my house #9 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:11 am   You are coming to my house

It make me be undecided in using.Thanks o lot!
Dongtien

You are coming to my house #10 (permalink) Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 am   You are coming to my house

So we should know a definite period of time to use progressive tense for future actions, don`t we?
Dina27
I'm here quite often ;-)

grammer question #11 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 18:53 pm   grammer question

Hi ,
why " Next time you will come...." is wrong?
Thnks in advance.
N.jafari

You are coming to my house #12 (permalink) Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 am   You are coming to my house

Future tense is alittle bite confusing
when we want to talk about for example time table like an airplan goes off at 7 o`clock we use present simple despite the fact that it will go off .
And when we want to do some thing in future but we have already arranged it like travelling to london next week we use present continuos by using going to.
But we use will when we think about something and suddenly decide to do some thing else:if you were studying and suddenly decided to go for a walk,you say I wiil go for a walk and you use will when you give promises :I will visit you, I will help you...
Sandy1
I'm here quite often ;-)

You are coming to my house #13 (permalink) Wed May 19, 2010 14:06 pm   You are coming to my house

Hi Ferdinand Bardamu;

It is an interesting hypothesis, Iím looking into it but I need some more conditions about the propositions that link the governing clause and the subordinated one.
Nabilchamlal
I'm here quite often ;-)

You are coming to my house #14 (permalink) Wed May 19, 2010 14:41 pm   You are coming to my house

Hi Nabilchamlal,

I've written some notes on the site on how to express the future. Let me know of it helps:

http://www.english-test.net/lessons/20/index.html

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

You are coming to my house #15 (permalink) Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:41 am   You are coming to my house

Why can't we say?
Next time you'll come to my house, you must bring that book.
next time - show us to use future indefinite tense
thanks!
Lili6
You can meet me at english-test.net

Sue felt she should brush up on her math skills... | Drapes are window coverings that hang from horizontal rods that are placed above.
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on English Forums
Would the words 'to meet' and 'who work' be written separately in each case?Test incompl/advan-665, User's Answer 10machines that can do twice the work using only half of the energy amountWhat is a hot plate?tape recorder vs. tape playerHe talked me into driving his car. It is a sweet ride.I feel like camping on the weekend. Do you want to come?the men's restroomclean out the guttersWhat is a chandelier?What is a light fixture?prune vs. trimWhat is a space heater?