Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

security; warranty; pledge; assurance
account
guarantee
examinee
voice
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Turning away people | What does the tramp mean here?
listening exercises
Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #1 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 18:51 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #526 "English Slang Idioms (110)", question 8

"Tim expects me to simultaneously talk to the customer on the phone, resolve his or her's case, and get my daily assignments done. I feel like I am ......... here," Linus told Chris.

(a) treading waters
(b) juggling frogs
(c) jogging to work
(d) betraying Mother Nature

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #526 "English Slang Idioms (110)", answer 8

"Tim expects me to simultaneously talk to the customer on the phone, resolve his or her's case, and get my daily assignments done. I feel like I am juggling frogs here," Linus told Chris.

Correct answer: (b) juggling frogs

Your answer was: correct

I'm a native English speaker who took this test for fun and in my 50+ years I've never heard this phrase.

Englander
Englander

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #2 (permalink) Wed May 28, 2008 18:58 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

Hi,

Thanks for your post and glad you took the test for fun. Perhaps it's an idiom used by our friends across the sea. I must have missed that one.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #3 (permalink) Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 am   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

Englander wrote:
I'm a native English speaker who took this test for fun and in my 50+ years I've never heard this phrase.

Englander

It's about time :lol:

By the way, is this idiom British or American ?
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #4 (permalink) Thu May 29, 2008 13:12 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

I've never heard the expression either.
Perhaps it's regional? Perhaps it's Canadian?

But I imagine the juggling of frogs just might be a tad tricky. :lol:

juggelling frogs? #5 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 12:56 pm   juggelling frogs?

Then what is the purpose of using that idiom in such a situation? In other words what's the main meaning of that idiom to be used in such a situation?

Eiva
Eiva

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #6 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 13:59 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

Hi Eiva

I've tried to find additional usage information about 'juggling frogs'. Based on the research I've done and the input from native speakers here, the use of this expression as an idiom appears to be extremely limited (i.e. not widely used). Google does provide a couple of usage examples in the UK, though.

Can you imagine a juggler trying to juggle frogs? It would be extremely difficult to do, right? So the intended meaning of 'juggling frogs' in the sentence would be this:
"attempting to do something that is practically impossible to do"

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #7 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 18:12 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

Quote:
"Tim expects me to simultaneously talk to the customer on the phone, resolve his or her's case, and get my daily assignments done. I feel like I am ......... here," Linus told Chris.

By the way, the use of the word her's would generally be considered an error on any standardized English test. That must be a typo.

I'd suggest changing that part of the sentence to this:
"... his or her case...".

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #8 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 19:18 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

Thank you so much Amy. That's a good explanation

Nola
Eiva

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #9 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 20:04 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

Yankee wrote:
Can you imagine a juggler trying to juggle frogs? It would be extremely difficult to do, right? So the intended meaning of 'juggling frogs' in the sentence would be this:
"attempting to do something that is practically impossible to do"

Absolutely. Like walking a tight rope (balancing act). It's not that I've ever heard this expression before, but I think it's a pretty good one. The juggling items could have been glasses or anything fragile or precious, but frogs make the whole undertaking seem quite pointless.

Talking to M. feels like juggling frogs.

It'd be interesting to get some feedback from the horse's mouth.
Ralf
Language Coach
Ralf Breheny

Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here #10 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 20:12 pm   Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here

I enjoyed the imagery in the expression, too. Trying to juggle is hard enough. But trying to do it with FROGS, of all things?! Now, that would be a very tall order indeed! :shock: :lol:

Turning away people | What does the tramp mean here?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
proverbial idiot vs. provincial idiotIs there a rule on yesterday vs last night?'become quiet' vs 'be quiet''Soccer has been now' vs 'Soccer is now'Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see"What does the idiom 'man or beast' mean?'she was born under a lucky star' vs 'she was born under a lucky moon'meanig of petitionCommon expression: mint conditionmeaning of 'losing your temper'meaning of "for example"Tell me about it -- let me hear your story!Idiom: Bowl of cherries