to produce via mechanical means
lumber
drop
except
machine

complicate vs. complicated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath" | I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.
complicate vs. complicated #31 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:27 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
When Mr P says "we are also all agreed", does he mean the whole forum, or is he referring to the 2 or 3 posters who agree? And is he saying it cannot be used or simply that it makes no sense to him and a couple of others. I wish he'd decide.

And "complicate" (adj.) is used beyond the field of biology.

Perhaps, but I found no incidences of it in the BYU corpus, and we know how you love corpora.

complicate vs. complicated #32 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:31 am   complicate vs. complicated

Love your convenient short-term memory, Jamie. I've said again and again that learners and natives should consult many sources in their search for understanding usage.
Molly

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
complicate vs. complicated #33 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:33 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:

I never saw that. In any case, you're constantly slapping people in the face with corpora results without ever considering the flaws and weaknesses of corpus linguistics.

complicate vs. complicated #34 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:43 am   complicate vs. complicated

Jamie (K) wrote:

Now why do you think I suggest consulting a number of sources? Seem you're just upset to have you native intuition challenged.
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #35 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 0:53 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:

Come along, old chap. All you've found so far, outside biology, is a quote from Watts (1741), another from Young (1742), and a few thousand typos (to put it kindly).

Your initial thought was your best one:

Molly wrote:
[complicate (adj.)] was a surprise to me also.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

complicate vs. complicated #36 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 am   complicate vs. complicated

Interesting that, until a day or so ago, a bunch of natives who had no idea that "complicate" (adj.) existed are now experts on the word. Me. I'll continue to investigate.
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #37 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
Me. I'll continue to investigate.

It's dirty work; but someone has to do it.

Don't forget to report back.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

complicate vs. complicated #38 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:31 am   complicate vs. complicated

Or why not let's make its usage beyond the field of biology. :) First of all, why should it be doomed to confine itself inside biology? :) Just curious.
Haihao

Location: Japan

complicate vs. complicated #39 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:33 am   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:

Many words do jump domains, but the natives here are keeping quiet about that. :?
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #40 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:37 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:

After all we are living in an era of republic. :D
Haihao

Location: Japan

complicate vs. complicated #41 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:46 am   complicate vs. complicated

It's a charming idea.

Perhaps while we're waiting for M. to return with his findings we can amuse ourselves by devising ways in which financial service procedures can be folded longitudinally several times.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

complicate vs. complicated #42 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:47 am   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:

Not here, maybe. :lol:

With Mr P and buddies' in-the-box thinking, we'll get nowhere fast. Just look at his last statement to get an idea of in-the-box thinking.

Did Mr Peeved forget these definitions of "complicate"?

Composed of two or more parts united; complex; complicated; involved.

Complex/complicated/involved/complicate application procedures have resulted in a drop in interest in our investment and other financial services packages.

All possible. It's about personal choice/preference here.
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #43 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:56 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:

If you consult the OED, you'll find those definitions marked "archaic" (cf. your examples: from 1741 and 1742).

Molly wrote:

On the contrary, old chap: it's about not misleading students of ESL.

If an ESL student writes e.g. "The situation was very complicate", no one is going to think, "what an admirable example of a rehabilitated archaism". They will simply assume it's a spelling mistake.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

complicate vs. complicated #44 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:49 pm   complicate vs. complicated

I suppose we'd better let Mr P have the last word on this. He seems to need it.
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #45 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:58 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Crudely put, Molly, you lost.

Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseThe best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performanceUsage of "such as to"rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionthe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?Usage of latelyproblem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates