seal; trademark
few
affiliation
path
chop

complicate vs. complicated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath" | I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.
complicate vs. complicated #46 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:59 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Jamie (K) wrote:
Crudely put, Molly, you lost.

Lost? Is this war?
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #47 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 13:19 pm   complicate vs. complicated

No, I don't think so, Molly. This is not a war and this is not a military tribunal either. So there shouldn't have been any judgelike people who had authorities to decide who won or who lost.
Haihao

Location: Japan

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
complicate vs. complicated #48 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 14:52 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:

But clearly one person is making more sense than the other, and one person's take on the issue is more consonant with expert opinion and native-speaker intuition. So clearly someone is right and someone is wrong in this case.

Molly is a gloating winner but a sore loser. At least this time Molly didn't question MrP's sanity, which is one of Molly's usual strategies when he's wrong.

complicate vs. complicated #49 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 15:29 pm   complicate vs. complicated

But clearly one person is making more sense than the other,

To whom?

and one person's take on the issue is more consonant with expert opinion and native-speaker intuition

LOL! You didn't even know the adjective existed. What kind of expert opinion and native-speaker intution can you bring to this?

Molly is a gloating winner but a sore loser

Another example of Jamie's Disneyland view of things. Dualism reigns in Jamie's house.

Hey, look at this from one of your pals
:

But it's also interesting to see how those sociopaths react. I'm pretty sure that one of them won't be able to resist proving my little theory.

And doesn't this sound like psychobabble to you?

Sublime self-unawareness.
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #50 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 17:32 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Hello Haihao,

Haihao wrote:

In contexts such as this, "lost" would imply "lost the argument", not "lost the war". The former is a common phrase, and does not involve any implication of tribunals, etc.

All the best,

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

complicate vs. complicated #51 (permalink) Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:32 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Even hearing "Ha,ha, you've lost the argument" makes me think of the schoolyard.
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #52 (permalink) Mon Jun 02, 2008 0:57 am   complicate vs. complicated

MrPedantic wrote:

I know, I know... dear MrP. I know it doesn't and can't mean "lost the war". You overvalued my ESL English knowledge. :D

Losing the argument or not is a self evident thing, isn't it? But crying out 'we win, you suck' without fighting to the finish is like something that happens in the schoolyard where the baby loser is almost at the end of his/her rope. :)

Best wishes,

Haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

complicate vs. complicated #53 (permalink) Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:32 am   complicate vs. complicated

Losing the argument or not is a self evident thing, isn't it? But crying out 'we win, you suck' without fighting to the finish is like something that happens in the schoolyard where the baby loser is almost at the end of his/her rope.

Exactly.
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #54 (permalink) Mon Jun 02, 2008 15:34 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:
Losing the argument or not is a self evident thing, isn't it?

Truer words were never spoken. :wink:
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

complicate vs. complicated #55 (permalink) Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:37 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Here's an interesting one:

"We believe that a complicate pricing mechanism may not only increase the computational network overheads but may also suffer from the complexities of its implementation."

From: Converged Networking: Data and Real-Time Communications Over Ip. By Chris McDonald

--------
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #56 (permalink) Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:17 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
Here's an interesting one:

--------

No; there's an uninteresting typo for "complicated", in a chapter called A Simple Pricing Scheme.

You'll find e.g. "it's" for "its" a little further on.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

complicate vs. complicated #57 (permalink) Mon Jun 02, 2008 23:33 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Thing is, Mr P, you have no proof that it is a typo, just as I have no proof it isn't. So...
Molly

complicate vs. complicated #58 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 am   complicate vs. complicated

NinaZara wrote:
Truer words were never spoken. :wink:

Thank you, Nina. :) I' like to introduce what you said to dear MrP. He can't seem to get the Pooh story straight unless some word processor breaks up every word for him.

MrP, I still respect your early Italian English analysis post but don't get me wrong, so far the respect is limited to that only.
Haihao

Location: Japan

complicate vs. complicated #59 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:17 am   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Haihao: losing the argument or not is a self-evident thing.

Which was the "Italian English analysis" post, if you don't mind my asking? I don't remember it.

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

complicate vs. complicated #60 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:26 am   complicate vs. complicated

You seem to have a good memory! But you need a good investigation measure as well. To quote Molly's, you better find out the proof by yourself and not make others do it for you. Good luck!
Haihao

Location: Japan

Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseThe best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performanceUsage of "such as to"rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionthe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?Usage of latelyproblem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates