Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

range; extent; sphere; expanse
library
scope
perspective
article
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

complicate vs. complicated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath" | I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.
listening exercises
complicate vs. complicated #61 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:39 am   complicate vs. complicated

Thank you, Haihao: you are quite right.

I wish you a very pleasant Tuesday,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #62 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:33 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
Thing is, Mr P, you have no proof that it is a typo, just as I have no proof it isn't. So...

That's right. Some people judge things as if with concrete proofs. Last time, MrP judged another one with "complicate" as two typos in one sentence and Jamie's judgement was "as actual morphological errors".

Now I wonder, why should all the typos or whatever other errors in the world constantely come upon this gaddamned single word when it comes to "complicate"?
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
complicate vs. complicated #63 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:30 am   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:
Now I wonder, why should all the typos or whatever other errors in the world constantely come upon this gaddamned single word when it comes to "complicate"?
Typos aren't limited to that word OR that particular misspelling, Haihao. Lots of words end up misspelled, and you can't really predict exactly what the misspelling or typo will be. Typos and misspellings are not limited to the word 'complicated'. However it is reasonable to assume that accidentally omitting the final D is one of the possible typos for the word 'complicated'.

Usage of the word 'complicated' is extremely abundant (i.e. including the D at the end). A Google search for the word 'complicated' results in 93 million hits! Such a search is admittedly not particularly scientific, however it is pretty good indication of how very often the word 'complicated' is used. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that a word that is used extremely often is likely to have more instances of typographical errors than a word that is used less often. Heck, the tests on this site have typos in them. Your last post appears to have two typos. Molly himself seems quite fond of pointing out typos. Why should it be so difficult to accept the fact that word 'complicated' will occasionally be mistyped as 'complicate'?

If you do a search for 'complcated' (i.e. without the letter I), Google will tell you that there are 16 thousand hits for that spelling. Should we start believing that to be an good alternative spelling for the word 'complicated'?

Googling 'complecated' gets even more hits (almost 60 thousand). Should we consider that to be an acceptable and common alternate spelling? Or is it reasonable to assume that all 60 thousand are typos (and/or written by bad spellers)? In my opinion, it's quite reasonable to assume that those 60 thousand hits for 'complecated' are nothing more than misspellings of the word 'complicated'.

Finding lots of examples of 'complicated' mistyped as 'complicate' does not surprise me.

complicate vs. complicated #64 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 am   complicate vs. complicated

Quote:
However it is reasonable to assume that accidentally omitting the final D is one of the possible typos for the word 'complicated'.

What's the difference between saying "they are typos" and "they could be" typos. You and Mr P seem not to know too much about modality and categorical statements.

Quote:
"Why should it be so difficult to accept the fact that word 'complicated' will occasionally be mistyped as 'complicate'?"

It's not hard to accept. Categorical -un-modalised - native-speaker arrogance is hard to accept.

Mr P's statement from another forum:

Quote:
MollyB's examples of "complicate" are all typos.

MrP

He's been asked to offer proof of such, but has so far declined the request.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #65 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:22 am   complicate vs. complicated

Quote:
If you do a search for 'complcated' (i.e. without the letter I), Google will tell you that there are 16 thousand hits for that spelling. Should we start believing that to be an good alternative spelling for the word 'complicated'?

LOL! Your arguments get even more desperate. "Complicate (adj.)" is an English word, but complcated, complecated, cumplcated, complcited, are not. Apples and oranges. Nice try!

Quote:
In my opinion, it's quite reasonable to assume...

Assuming is fine, but insisting is not.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #66 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 13:07 pm   complicate vs. complicated

It warms the heart to know that you're able to recognize at least some typos, Molly old boy.

complicate vs. complicated #67 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 13:16 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Yankee wrote:
It warms the heart to know that you're able to recognize at least some typos, Molly old boy.

Old boy? Do I hear a "Baa-baa!" in the air? Go follow your leader, Amy.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #68 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 23:22 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
Quote:
No; there's an uninteresting typo for "complicated", in a chapter called A Simple Pricing Scheme.

Thing is, Mr P, you have no proof that it is a typo, just as I have no proof it isn't. So...

I have no proof that the writer didn't intend to write "A Sample Pricing Scheme". But the context tells me he did indeed mean "Simple". Similarly, context tells me he meant "complicated"; especially as his text contains other typos, e.g. "it's" for "its".

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #69 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 23:27 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Do we have a budding Holmes in our midst?

Shame he didn't treat us to the other "typos" he found in that text.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #70 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 23:39 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
Do we have a budding Holmes in our midst?

Shame he didn't treat us to the other "typos" he found in that text.

In other words, you're unable to address the point again.

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #71 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 23:42 pm   complicate vs. complicated

He wants me to address a point that has no substance?

He's basically saying 'In that text, I think "complicate" is a typo because "it's" is a typo.' A non-starter?
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #72 (permalink) Wed Jun 04, 2008 0:10 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
He wants me to address a point that has no substance?

He's basically saying 'In that text, I think "complicate" is a typo because "it's" is a typo.' A non-starter?

No; I'm saying:

Context tells me he meant "complicated"; especially as his text contains other typos, e.g. "it's" for "its".

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #73 (permalink) Wed Jun 04, 2008 0:15 am   complicate vs. complicated

Still waiting for the other typos, folks?

And what on earth does he mean by "Context tells me..."? A mystery, until he tells us just what it is about the context that leads him to that conclusion.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #74 (permalink) Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:20 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
Old boy?
Yes, old boy.
Quote:
You and Mr P seem not to know too much about modality and categorical statements.
I see.
Molly wrote:
It's not hard to accept.
Thank goodness for small favors.
Molly wrote:
Categorical -un-modalised - native-speaker arrogance is hard to accept.
Does that mean that you prefer modalised native-speaker arrogance?
Quote:
And what on earth does he mean by "Context tells me..."?
My goodness! Admittedly, you can't find "context tells me" in the corpora, but surely you know what context is. Is this your way of ignoring MrP? You did categorically state that MrP was "now on ignore", did you not? Context tells me that you might be having some trouble doing that.

complicate vs. complicated #75 (permalink) Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:16 am   complicate vs. complicated

Quote:
Yes, old boy.

You think I want to be a man?

Quote:
I see.

That's useful.

Quote:
Does that mean that you prefer modalised native-speaker arrogance?

Nope.

Quote:
My goodness! Admittedly, you can't find "context tells me" in the corpora, but surely you know what context is. Is this your way of ignoring MrP?

Did you notice the pronoun "he"? The question was not 'what does "context tells me" mean', it was "what does he/Mr Papa mean by...". And, you "missed" this:

"A mystery, until he tells us just what it is about the context that leads him to that conclusion."

Or maybe you can tell us what it is about the context that makes Mr Pee conclude that "complicate" is a typo there? Do tell us.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath" | I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Latest topics on English Forums
Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseThe best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performanceUsage of "such as to"rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionthe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?Usage of latelyproblem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates