Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

harsh; strict; severe; exact; precise
rigorous
grateful
sound
mean
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

complicate vs. complicated

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath" | I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.
listening exercises
complicate vs. complicated #1 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 7:08 am   complicate vs. complicated

Hello,

I looked up several dictionaries, and many of them says complicate can be used as an adjective meaning 'complex' 'involved'. Then, how is different from 'complicated'?

For example,

_______ application procedures have resulted in a drop in interest in our investment and other financial services packages.

(A) Complicating
(B) Complicated
(C) Complicates
(D) Complicate

The answer is (B). How about (D)? I know complicate is used almost as a verb, right? But if it could be used as an adjective, can it fill in the blank above?

Thank you in advance,

sweetpumpkin
Sweetpumpkin
I'm here quite often ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #2 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 am   complicate vs. complicated

Should be (B). And "complicate" can't be used as an adjective, I think.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
complicate vs. complicated #3 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:

Indeed it can:

ADJECTIVE: (-kt)1. Complex, intricate, and involved. 2. Biology Folded longitudinally one or several times, as certain leaves or the wings of some insects.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/11/C0531100.html

Note the different pronunciation.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #4 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 8:43 am   complicate vs. complicated

Oh yes, it can. My ignorance, very sorry.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #5 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 8:44 am   complicate vs. complicated

No, it was a surprise to me also.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #6 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 11:38 am   complicate vs. complicated

Molly wrote:
Haihao wrote:

Indeed it can:

ADJECTIVE: (-kt)1. Complex, intricate, and involved. 2. Biology Folded longitudinally one or several times, as certain leaves or the wings of some insects.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/11/C0531100.html

Note the different pronunciation.

This usage appears to be limited to the field of biology, and an ordinary person can go through his entire life without encountering it. For all other usages, it's best to go with "complicated".
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #7 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 12:22 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Jamie (K) wrote:
This usage appears to be limited to the field of biology, and an ordinary person can go through his entire life without encountering it. For all other usages, it's best to go with "complicated".

Maybe, Jamie, but can you answer this question?

Quote:
Then, how is different from 'complicated'?

BTW, do you expect that only ordinary learners visit this site?
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #8 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 13:07 pm   complicate vs. complicated

I guess the difference between 'complicated' and 'complicate' (both adjectives) is, 'complicated' bears a sense of 'been made complex' whereas 'complicate' just 'been complex'.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #9 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 13:29 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:
I guess the difference between 'complicated' and 'complicate' (both adjectives) is, 'complicated' bears a sense of 'been made complex' whereas 'complicate' just 'been complex'.

I'd say that "complicate" as an adjective would mean something to the effect of "of complex composition".
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #10 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 13:33 pm   complicate vs. complicated

But ''complicated' would as well mean "of complex composition" = "containing intricately combined or involved parts"
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #11 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 13:39 pm   complicate vs. complicated

Haihao wrote:
But ''complicated' would as well mean "of complex composition" = "containing intricately combined or involved parts"

There is a different feeling between one and the other that I'm having trouble coming up with an explanation for. This is going to require some thinking.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #12 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 15:34 pm   complicate vs. complicated

complicate

Folded upon itself; folded lengthwise

http://glossary.gardenweb.com/glossary/complicate.html

I get a feeling that "complicated"

-----

But:

Complicated

Made complex; denoting a disease upon which a morbid process or event has been superimposed, altering symptoms and modifying its course for the worse.

Origin: L. Com-plico, pp. -atus, to fold together

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Complicated
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #13 (permalink) Fri May 30, 2008 20:51 pm   complicate vs. complicated

This clears everything up! Thank you, Molly.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #14 (permalink) Sat May 31, 2008 1:49 am   complicate vs. complicated

I could conclude then both complicate and complicated 'can' fill in the blank above. The question above is not a good one... But the direction says(I didn't put it here) 'Select the best answer to complete the sentence'. Then I think the best answer goes to 'complicated'. I googled and found out the word 'procedure' is usually used with 'complicated', not 'complicate'. Besides, I checked www.americancorpus.org , and it showed that complicate is almost used as a verb. Surely, complicate 'can' fill in the blank, but most of native speakers use 'complicated' instead of it and think the latter is more natural... my guess.

Anyway, thank you for answering my question. I'm really glad many 'GOSUes'(In Korean, 'Gosu'[gosu] literally means 'a better hand', standing for someone with higher skills, an expert, or a superior.) help me out here. :D
Sweetpumpkin
I'm here quite often ;-)

complicate vs. complicated #15 (permalink) Sat May 31, 2008 8:46 am   complicate vs. complicated

Quote:
I could conclude then both complicate and complicated 'can' fill in the blank above.

I agree.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath" | I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseThe best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performanceUsage of "such as to"rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionthe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?Usage of latelyproblem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates