Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

review; overview; statistical study
sale
survey
stage
background
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does the idiom 'man or beast' mean? | Meaning of effective
listening exercises
Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see" #1 (permalink) Sat May 31, 2008 12:29 pm   Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #404 "English Slang Idioms (139)", question 2

"I tried to explain to him that he will lose everything he owns by borrowing huge sums to gamble with but none are so ......... as those who will not see," Jake told Lewis.

(a) distorted
(b) unfocused
(c) lame
(d) blind

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #404 "English Slang Idioms (139)", answer 2

"I tried to explain to him that he will lose everything he owns by borrowing huge sums to gamble with but none are so blind as those who will not see," Jake told Lewis.

Correct answer: (d) blind

exlplain, please.

Moduis
Moduis

Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see" #2 (permalink) Sat May 31, 2008 14:32 pm   Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see"

[4.] It is the amazing folly of multitudes that enjoy the means of grace, and it will be of fatal consequence to them, that they do not improve the day of their opportunities. The things of their peace are revealed to them, but are not minded or regarded by them; they hide their eyes from them, as if they were not worth taking notice of. They are not aware of the accepted time and the day of salvation, and to let it slip and perish through mere carelessness. None are so blind as those that will not see; nor have any the things of their peace more certainly hidden from their eyes than those that turn their back upon them.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see" #3 (permalink) Sat May 31, 2008 17:27 pm   Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see"

Hi, MM

What does "to improve the day of their opportunities" mean? I know it's a quote from the Bible, but figuring it out is beyond me...

Thanks !
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see" #4 (permalink) Sat May 31, 2008 22:23 pm   Expression "None are so blind as those that will not see"

Hi LS,

This is not from the Bible, but from, I think, an exegesis. 'None are so blind...' is apocryphal. As for 'day of their opportunities', I think it just means 'chances'.

What does the idiom 'man or beast' mean? | Meaning of effective
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does "turn himself off" mean?Expression: discussion on the nuts and bolts of the issueExpression: submit to the number crunchersExpression: business relationship null and voidproverbial idiot vs. provincial idiotIs there a rule on yesterday vs last night?'become quiet' vs 'be quiet''Soccer has been now' vs 'Soccer is now''she was born under a lucky star' vs 'she was born under a lucky moon'meanig of petitionCommon expression: mint conditionmeaning of 'losing your temper'Idiom: I feel like I am juggling frogs here