Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to supervise; to observe; to follow up on; to check up on
margin
monitor
calendar
pleasure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is it a one-trick pony?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Are rhyme and reason something like an idion or phrase? | what does "allow for the waste" mean?
listening exercises
What is it a one-trick pony? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 07, 2008 14:40 pm   What is it a one-trick pony?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #546 "English Slang Idioms (149)", question 1

"My best friend is kind of a ......... pony. He is really good at electronics repairs but is not good at other things. For example, he can't manage the finances for his business, his marketing strategy is extremely weak and his people skills are atrocious. I won't even go into the across-the-board failures in his personal life," Wes said to Lisa.

(a) show
(b) one-trick
(c) dancing
(d) race

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #546 "English Slang Idioms (149)", answer 1

"My best friend is kind of a one-trick pony. He is really good at electronics repairs but is not good at other things. For example, he can't manage the finances for his business, his marketing strategy is extremely weak and his people skills are atrocious. I won't even go into the across-the-board failures in his personal life," Wes said to Lisa.

Correct answer: (b) one-trick

Your answer was: correct

what is it a one-trick pony?
Katerina
Katerina

What is it a one-trick pony? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 0:26 am   What is it a one-trick pony?

Hello Katerina,

If someone is a "one-trick pony", he is good at one thing, but not good at anything else.

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Are rhyme and reason something like an idion or phrase? | what does "allow for the waste" mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
which vs thatwhat is difference between some and any?Usage of ourselvesmeaning of the phrase "to keep the wolf from the door"'rack out' sv 'eat something'meaning of seasonedWhat is warring?Do I place an apostrophe when talking about temperatures.sudden vs instantpublish vs openmeaning of word groom'make the most of' vs 'take great advantage of''back to square one' vs 'back to piece one'