to continue; to carry on; to advance; to progress; to move forward
contest
articulate
proceed
admonish

what does "allow for the waste" mean?

What is it a one-trick pony? | Difference between turn up and turn out
what does "allow for the waste" mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:36 am   what does "allow for the waste" mean?

"When figuring our what materials you will need to complete the job, don't forget to ......... for waste," the contractor told Jim.

(a) allow
(b) make
(c) a lot
(d) reduce

"When figuring our what materials you will need to complete the job, don't forget to allow for waste," the contractor told Jim.

Correct answer: (a) allow

"When figuring our what materials you will need to complete the job, don't forget to reduce for waste," the contractor told Jim.
_________________________

what does allow for the waste mean?

Katerina
Katerina

what does "allow for the waste" mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 13:26 pm   what does "allow for the waste" mean?

Hi Katerina

'Allow for' basically means to plan for or make provisions for something. When a product is manufactured, it is not uncommon that a little bit of the raw material needed is not actually used in the final product. For example, there might be some bits and pieces of raw material left over, and if these bits and pieces cannot be used in another product, then they are 'waste'. Therefore, if you "allow for waste" when ordering material, you order more material than will actually be used in the final product.
See definition 9 here.
.
I'm not sure why the expression "allow for" (or "allow for waste") was categorized as a "slang idiom", however. To me the usage is standard, not slang. :?
.
.
Hi Torsten
This test sentence contains a typo. The word 'our' should be changed to 'out':
"When figuring out what materials you will need to complete the job, ... "
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
which vs thatwhat is difference between some and any?Usage of ourselvesmeaning of the phrase "to keep the wolf from the door"'rack out' sv 'eat something'meaning of seasonedWhat is warring?Are rhyme and reason something like an idion or phrase?Do I place an apostrophe when talking about temperatures.sudden vs instantmeaning of "down-to-earth sort of person"publish vs openmeaning of word groom