to ask for; to petition for
saw
request
correct
condition

meaning of the phrase "to keep the wolf from the door"

Shifts vs. exchanges | meaning of seasoned
meaning of the phrase "to keep the wolf from the door" #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:47 am   meaning of the phrase "to keep the wolf from the door"

He made some poor financial choices in the last year. He spent more than he earned by acquiring things he didn't need and by trying to buy the coolest stuff. Now he was paying for his irresponsible spending in a day to day struggle to keep the ......... at bay. He worked all the time and, ironically, had no time to use the things he bought.

(a) bill of sale
(b) taxman
(c) cards
(d) wolf

He made some poor financial choices in the last year. He spent more than he earned by acquiring things he didn't need and by trying to buy the coolest stuff. Now he was paying for his irresponsible spending in a day to day struggle to keep the wolf at bay. He worked all the time and, ironically, had no time to use the things he bought.

Correct answer: (d) wolf
_________________________

meaning of phrase to keep the wolf from the door?

Katerina
Katerina

Wolf at bay #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 17:16 pm   Wolf at bay

Hello Katerina,
To keep the wolf from the door means: "to keep away poverty; to prevent starvation."
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
travel to vs. arrive atIs "run-in" informal?which vs thatwhat is difference between some and any?Usage of ourselves'rack out' sv 'eat something'what does "allow for the waste" mean?What is warring?What is it a one-trick pony?Are rhyme and reason something like an idion or phrase?Do I place an apostrophe when talking about temperatures.sudden vs instantsympathized vs regretted