Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

but; only
however
directly
whereas
except
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Usage of "such as to" | LIFE and LIVE are different
listening exercises
So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 19:02 pm   So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates

Hi, please have a look at the passage below:
Ruth Lawrence made history yesterday when she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates who sat the entrance exam for St. Hugh's College, Oxford. The all-women's college is likely to offer her a scholarship.

=> I just can't understand the underlined phrase. What do they mean?

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 0:01 am   So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates

It means Ruth came in (i.e., finished) first among the 530 candidates. She had the highest score.

The word "clear" indicates that her score was so much higher than the next highest score that Ruth was clearly (obviously) the top candidate.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:38 am   So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates

Thanks a lot, Jamie.

[quote="Jamie (K)"]It means Ruth came in (i.e., finished) first among the 530 candidates. quote]

=> So is the sentence correct in formal English without "in"?

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57 am   So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates

nessie wrote:
=> So is the sentence correct in formal English without "in"?

It sounds a little odd to me also without "in", but when I google the phrase, I do find am example or two of its use in the UK and New Zealand. The rest of the examples, however, are from Germany, Ukraine and Singapore. We need someone British to tell us whether they'd use the "in" or not.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 17:27 pm   So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates

Thanks a lot, Jamie, so let's wait for some Britsh people's ideas :)

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" | LIFE and LIVE are different
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Help me with this exerciseThe best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performancerise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionthe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.Usage of latelyproblem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?