the proportion of available time that an item of equipment is operating
utilization
offense
aptitude
coalition

Difference between closing down and shutting down

Master (M.A), or masters? | He used to, didn't he?
Difference between closing down and shutting down #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:32 am   Difference between closing down and shutting down

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", question 6

Everything in that shop is now very cheap because they are having a ......... down sale.

(a) shuts
(b) shutting
(c) closes
(d) closing

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", answer 6

Everything in that shop is now very cheap because they are having a closing down sale.

Correct answer: (d) closing

Everything in that shop is now very cheap because they are having a shutting down sale.
_________________________

Can you tell me why use "closing" here?
Jolie

Closing down #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:54 am   Closing down

This means ending the business/stopping trading. Shut down is often to turn off a machine/engine - usually something very big as in: The Government has agreed to shut down the nuclear power station.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between closing down and shutting down #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 am   Difference between closing down and shutting down

HI,

if i write- lets go for shopping, now there are some closing down sale in most shopping centre-

is this correct?
Suhaizan

Location: Malaysia

Difference between closing down and shutting down #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:50 am   Difference between closing down and shutting down

No.

Let's go shopping. Now there are closing-down sales in most shopping centres.
_________________

Difference between closing down and shutting down #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:01 am   Difference between closing down and shutting down

I agree use "close", but I don't understand why use "closing".What is "..ing" mean for?

jane
Janevu

Difference between closing down and shutting down #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:04 am   Difference between closing down and shutting down

The shops are in the process of closing.
_________________

Difference between closing down and shutting down #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:32 am   Difference between closing down and shutting down

Hi Janevu,

The addition of 'ing' would be used in a continuous form of the tense as in: The shop is closing down. In other words it hasn't completely closed but is about to close.

_________________

What does skiing mean?For vs. throughwhat is the meaning of hook up?What are sinuses?Do you provide a warrant? If yes, could you tell me how long and on what terms?Is this reflexive or intensive? How?ironically vs inevitablywhat are the qualities of a business plan?'All you have to do is to telephone this number' OR 'All you have to make is ...'Who vs. whomI think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?Why it is "like" instead of "liked"?Why used 'dreamed' instead of 'have dreamed'