Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

opposite; contrary; back side; rear; setback; defeat
interior
characteristic
reverse
recognition
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Idiom: Are you in on the latest developments? | Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring
listening exercises
Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:47 am   Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble

Test No. express/advan-8 "From Shakespeare originally", question 3

She had got herself in a pickle by trying to please everyone at the same time.

(a) info confusion
(b) into trouble
(c) into difficulties
(d) into problems

Test No. express/advan-8 "From Shakespeare originally", answer 3

She had got herself into difficulties by trying to please everyone at the same time.

Correct answer: (c) into difficulties

Your answer was: incorrect
She had got herself into trouble by trying to please everyone at the same time.

Hello Sir,
please explain me the difference bwtween" into trouble" and "into difficulties".
why can't "into troubles" be the answer?
Thnx,
Anshul Rusia

Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:48 am   Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble

Get into difficulties means find yourself in a situation where you can't manage. For example if you are in deep water and find yourself unable to swim or you find you have big money problems. Get into trouble means you have done something wrong. For example if you have broken the law.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:53 am   Get into difficulties vs. get into trouble

Hi,

I was familiar with 'be in a so and so pickle', i.e. in a sad pickle, in a nice pickle etc, as an idiom. It seems alright as well without so and so here, so, is it OK without them?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pickle #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:59 am   Pickle

Hi,

I am not familiar with the use of pickle when it is qualified. I know 'get into a pickle' 'be in a pickle' and perhaps 'be in a bit of a pickle'.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Idiom: Are you in on the latest developments? | Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression: "for the sake of"Those vs. theseMeaning of "to lay an egg"Idiom: 'to mind your own business'Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standards"make" versus "build up"What is the difference between "whom" and "who"?Change versus shiftExpression: to be up for somethingIdiom: face the musicIn home versus at homeMeaning of 'non-refundable'