Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

silence; noiselessness; stillness; tranquility; muteness; speechlessness
stress
convention
feedback
quiet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

the snow v.s. snow

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: "With a pinch" | Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performance
listening exercises
the snow v.s. snow #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 20:09 pm   the snow v.s. snow

Hi,
Could you tell me if the sentence below is right?
Quote:
He shot his rifle in the hope of attracting attention, but the thick snow was like a sound-baffle and the sound died down very quickly

Could you also tell if we can leave out the article "the" (in bold)?

Thanks !
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

the snow v.s. snow #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:09 am   the snow v.s. snow

Hi Alex

Using the word 'the' suggests that the heavy ("thick") snow had been previously mentioned and therefore refers specifically to the heavy snow at that moment/time.

Omitting the word 'the' would make the statement more general. It tends to sound as though the reference is to what all "thick snow" does in general.

It seems to me that using 'the' would be more appropriate in the context because the reference is to a specific gunshot and to what the snow at that moment did to the sound of the gunshot.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: "With a pinch" | Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performance
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"Usage of "such as to"rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?incredulous vs scepticalwhile vs whenUsage of latelySo difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates"what means" or "which means"Would you be so kind and help me correcting this document?May + have + P.P.Uses of "Too" and "Also"