Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to reward; to reimburse; to pay back; to make up for
render
tax
feed
compensate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Usage of "such as to"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Usage of lately | So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates
listening exercises
Usage of "such as to" #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 am   Usage of "such as to"

My English teasher's humor was_____ make every student burst into laughter.

A. so as to B. such as to C. such that D. so that

the suggested answer is B.

I don't understand it. Would anybody give me some reason? thanks!
Vaok
I'm here quite often ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:11 am   Usage of "such as to"

Quote:
My English teacher's humor was such as to make every student burst into laughter.

Quite formal use, I'd say.

Alternative register:

Our English teacher was very funny.
My English teacher made us all laugh.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of "such as to" #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:24 am   Usage of "such as to"

But such as to is possible here. Some more examples (from Longman):
His manner was such as to offend nearly everyone he met.
But I doubt that the net outcome will be such as to drag the rest of the world out of its pit.
Indeed, no country is truly independent if its economy is such as to consign it at once to the Third World.

Usage of "such as to" #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:05 am   Usage of "such as to"

Quote:
But such as to is possible here.

Did anyone say it isn't?
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:10 am   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was such as to make every student burst into laughter. = My English teacher's humor was such (an interesting humor) as to make every student burst into laughter. = My English teacher's humor was so interesting a humor as to make every student burst into laughter.

I would think 'such' is a pronoun here = such a thing. So the original could be reworded as: My English teacher's humor was such a thing that made every student burst into laughter. IMO.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 am   Usage of "such as to"

Quote:
My English teacher's humor was such (an interesting humor) as to make every student burst into laughter

I think it's more:

My English teacher's humor was such (such = of a particular type) as to make every student burst into laughter.

predeterminer, determiner, pronoun
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 am   Usage of "such as to"

Molly's is precise and all-embracing.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:45 am   Usage of "such as to"

Haihao wrote:
Molly's is precise and all-embracing.

I embrace you, H. :D
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #9 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 am   Usage of "such as to"

Molly in Ulysses is also a beautiful woman, I think. I'd love to be embraced by Molly's friendship. :)
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #10 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:29 am   Usage of "such as to"

Haihao wrote:
Molly in Ulysses is also a beautiful woman, I think. I'd love to be embraced by Molly's friendship. :)

:oops:
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #11 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:14 pm   Usage of "such as to"

thank you.

It is not a little difficult for high school students in China.
Vaok
I'm here quite often ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #12 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:39 pm   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was so hackney as to bore me to death :lol:

(Why do they always keep on choosing boring stuff as examples when compiling textbooks. It's the main reason why some people give up learning languages - if they stuffed textbooks with something new, exciting, then maybe things would look up a little)

Haihao wrote:
My English teacher's humor was such (an interesting humor) as to make every student burst into laughter.

I'm being nitpicking here :), and the noun "humor" is uncountable, hence just "interesting humor" ;)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #13 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:00 pm   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was so <hackney> as to bore me to death.

Hackneyed?
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #14 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:08 pm   Usage of "such as to"

Molly wrote:
Hackneyed?

Apparently, they are both in use:

http://www.answers.com/topic/hackney
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of "such as to" #15 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:32 pm   Usage of "such as to"

ROTFL!
What's up, Molly? Is it too complicated to accept both hackney and hackneyed as adjectives? :lol: :shock: :lol:

Usage of lately | So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performanceUsage of "such as to", page 2rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionthe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?"what means" or "which means"