to reward; to reimburse; to pay back; to make up for
render
tax
feed
compensate

Usage of "such as to"

Usage of lately | So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidates
Usage of "such as to" #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 am   Usage of "such as to"

My English teasher's humor was_____ make every student burst into laughter.

A. so as to B. such as to C. such that D. so that

the suggested answer is B.

I don't understand it. Would anybody give me some reason? thanks!
Vaok

Usage of "such as to" #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:11 am   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was such as to make every student burst into laughter.

Quite formal use, I'd say.

Alternative register:

Our English teacher was very funny.
My English teacher made us all laugh.
Molly

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of "such as to" #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:24 am   Usage of "such as to"

But such as to is possible here. Some more examples (from Longman):
His manner was such as to offend nearly everyone he met.
But I doubt that the net outcome will be such as to drag the rest of the world out of its pit.
Indeed, no country is truly independent if its economy is such as to consign it at once to the Third World.
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Usage of "such as to" #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:05 am   Usage of "such as to"

But such as to is possible here.

Did anyone say it isn't?
Molly

Usage of "such as to" #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:10 am   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was such as to make every student burst into laughter. = My English teacher's humor was such (an interesting humor) as to make every student burst into laughter. = My English teacher's humor was so interesting a humor as to make every student burst into laughter.

I would think 'such' is a pronoun here = such a thing. So the original could be reworded as: My English teacher's humor was such a thing that made every student burst into laughter. IMO.
Haihao

Location: Japan

Usage of "such as to" #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 am   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was such (an interesting humor) as to make every student burst into laughter
.

I think it's more:

My English teacher's humor was such (such = of a particular type) as to make every student burst into laughter.

predeterminer, determiner, pronoun
Molly

Usage of "such as to" #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 am   Usage of "such as to"

Molly's is precise and all-embracing.
Haihao

Location: Japan

Usage of "such as to" #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:45 am   Usage of "such as to"

Haihao wrote:
Molly's is precise and all-embracing.

I embrace you, H. :D
Molly

Usage of "such as to" #9 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 am   Usage of "such as to"

Molly in Ulysses is also a beautiful woman, I think. I'd love to be embraced by Molly's friendship. :)
Haihao

Location: Japan

Usage of "such as to" #10 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:29 am   Usage of "such as to"

Haihao wrote:

:oops:
Molly

Usage of "such as to" #11 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:14 pm   Usage of "such as to"

thank you.

It is not a little difficult for high school students in China.
Vaok

Usage of "such as to" #12 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:39 pm   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was so hackney as to bore me to death :lol:

(Why do they always keep on choosing boring stuff as examples when compiling textbooks. It's the main reason why some people give up learning languages - if they stuffed textbooks with something new, exciting, then maybe things would look up a little)

Haihao wrote:
My English teacher's humor was such (an interesting humor) as to make every student burst into laughter.
.

I'm being nitpicking here :), and the noun "humor" is uncountable, hence just "interesting humor" ;)

Usage of "such as to" #13 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:00 pm   Usage of "such as to"

My English teacher's humor was so <hackney> as to bore me to death.

Hackneyed?
Molly

Usage of "such as to" #14 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:08 pm   Usage of "such as to"

Molly wrote:
Hackneyed?

Apparently, they are both in use:

http://www.answers.com/topic/hackney

Usage of "such as to" #15 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:32 pm   Usage of "such as to"

ROTFL!
What's up, Molly? Is it too complicated to accept both hackney and hackneyed as adjectives? :lol: :shock: :lol:
_________________

The best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performanceUsage of "such as to", page 2rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionthe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?"what means" or "which means"