Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to pack in a box
experiment
employ
fear
crate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

At the best of times - what does it mean?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Private 'malaciers' and 'Depo dubs' | Burning comma question
listening exercises
At the best of times - what does it mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 14:51 pm   At the best of times - what does it mean?

Hello,
I'm now having difficulty understanding a phrase in a sentence.Hope you would help me.Here it is:
1.''..Packages do not normally move very quickly through the post office AT THE BEST OF TIMES ,but this one was definitely frisky...''
Can you tell me the meaning of ''at the best of times'' ,even after I have read its meaning in the dictionary ,I don't understand very much '' at the best of times: if something is not very good, pleasant etc at the best of times, it is usually even worse than this''
Thanks in advance :D

At the best of times - what does it mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:03 pm   At the best of times - what does it mean?

In other words, even when the situation is most conducive, favorable to moving packages, packages nonetheless do not move very quickly through the post office.
Also, take a look at this reference:
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/at+the+best+of+times
Note that this expression is used mainly in negative contexts:
Even at the best of times, this region is hard to farm
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
At the best of times - what does it mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 18:39 pm   At the best of times - what does it mean?

"At the best of times" = "even in an ideal situation".
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Private 'malaciers' and 'Depo dubs' | Burning comma question
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
is it necessary to use "there are"?Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseWhat is under "I would/wouldn't use/write/add/omit..."The best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)Construction: as ... as he/him?role of anyonesomewhere vs anywherePhrase "the best of both worlds"Are or Is cake, bread and sandwich your favorites?I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"