detailed account of an occurrence or situation
impulse
operation
report
stay

role of anyone

Usage of "admit" | is it necessary to use "there are"?
role of anyone #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 21:23 pm   role of anyone

I read the following sentence in a book. My question is about the role of ‘anyone’ in the following sentence. I know that ‘having to report the change at the bank’ is a gerund phrase and ‘without’ is a preposition, but I don’t understand the function of ‘anyone’ in the construction.

‘If Jones buys a hi-fi set from Brown, the bank note changes hands without anyone having to report the change at the bank, since the bank is liable to the noteholder
in any case.'

MG.
Musicgold

role of anyone #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:59 am   role of anyone

without anyone having to report the change at the bank = without anyone who has to report the change at the bank
Haihao

Location: Japan

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
role of anyone #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 18:38 pm   role of anyone

Haihao wrote:

Not exactly.

without anyone having to report the change at the bank = and no one has to report the change at the bank

role of anyone #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:03 am   role of anyone

Jamie (K) wrote:

Oh that's precise. Thank you! Now I understand it = and nobody needs to report the change at the bank (at the same time).
Haihao

Location: Japan

Is would have been OK in this sentence?power vs force vs ability"end" vs "get over"Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseBurning comma questionWhat is under "I would/wouldn't use/write/add/omit..."The best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)Construction: as ... as he/him?somewhere vs anywherePhrase "the best of both worlds"Are or Is cake, bread and sandwich your favorites?