honest; sincere; straightforward; open; candid
subsidiary
gifted
swift
frank

Construction: as ... as he/him?

is it necessary to use "there are"? | Which is correct? (Jack London's life and writings are thought by many to...)
Construction: as ... as he/him? #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:34 am   Construction: as ... as he/him?

Which is correct?

I am hungry, but not as hungry as him.

I am hungry, but not as hungry as he.

I am hungry, but not as hungry as he is.

Can you explain the correct answer to me. Thanks!
Grammarizing Me

Construction: as ... as he/him? #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:43 am   Construction: as ... as he/him?

"I am hungry, but not as hungry as he is." = "I am hungry, but not so hungry as he is." is the best.
Haihao

Location: Japan

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
as... as he/him? #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 am   as... as he/him?

thanks! Do you know why? Do you know if the other options are also grammatically correct?
Grammarizing Me

Construction: as ... as he/him? #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:31 am   Construction: as ... as he/him?

I agree with Haihao. No. 2 is probably also grammatically correct, but less natural. I'd say No. 1 is common in spoken and informal English but incorrect. "As" is a subordinating conjunction, which requires a subject (nominative) pronoun. "Because," "while," and "since" are also subordinating conjunctions. I was angry because he was hurt. While he was upset, I took it as unintentional. In your case, the verb "to be" is implied, and you certainly wouldn't want to imply "I'm not as hungry as him (is)."

The same issue comes up with "than." It should take nominative pronouns. "He's much more generous than I" is correct. "He's much more generous than me" is incorrect. "He's much more generous than I am" is probably the most natural of the two formal options.
Vsherry

Construction: as ... as he/him? #5 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:33 am   Construction: as ... as he/him?

Make that "more natural" of the two options. :wink:
Vsherry

Construction: as ... as he/him? #6 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 15:55 pm   Construction: as ... as he/him?

Hi GM

The main difference between your three sentences is the level of formality.

I agree with Haihao's assessment that "I am hungry, but not as hungry as he is." is the best choice. It is the "best" because it is grammatically correct AND will sound "natural" in most contexts.
.
.
Your first sentence might be viewed as "correct usage" in informal contexts. However, many consider it to be grammatically incorrect.

Although your second sentence is grammatically correct, it will tend to sound quite stilted in all but the most formal contexts.
.
_________________

as... as him/he #7 (permalink) Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:58 am   as... as him/he

Thanks you all for your comments! I appreciate your assistance greatly! :)
Grammarizing Me

Is would have been OK in this sentence?power vs force vs ability"The faster the CPU, the more heat produced." seems wrong, isn't it?"end" vs "get over"Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseBurning comma questionWhat is under "I would/wouldn't use/write/add/omit..."role of anyonesomewhere vs anywherePhrase "the best of both worlds""want" in progressiveAre or Is cake, bread and sandwich your favorites?