supplementary; auxiliary; secondary; lesser in importance
dismal
domestic
subsidiary
pervasive

Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)

The best way to inscribe a diary? | Help me with this exercise
Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...) #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:06 am   Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)

Please have a look at the finding mistake exercise below which makes me very confused:
1/The jumping mouse ,especially when startled from its hiding place,may take a few long jumps,but generally stop and remain motionless.
The mistake here according to my book is ''stop and remain'' but can you explain to me why it is not true?
Thanks in advance.
_________________
Don't see your shade think you are great
Duc

Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...) #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 13:37 pm   Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)

3rd person singular (The Present Simple): The jumping mouse (generally) stops and remains.
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...) #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 14:12 pm   Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)

But the main verb here is ''may''.
_________________
Duc

Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...) #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 14:29 pm   Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)

Hi duc,

I agree with Inga. The jumping mouse can take a few long jumps but generally it stops and remains motionless.
Pamela

Location: RF

Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...) #5 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 14:37 pm   Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)

But the main verb here is ''may''.

may goes with take. It means 'not always, seldom, it happens sometimes';generally (stops and remains) is an indicator of present simple.
Stops and remains are not infinitive forms after may!
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...) #6 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 14:40 pm   Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)

Oh ,thank you
_________________
Duc

is it necessary to use "there are"?Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Burning comma question"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"role of anyoneAre or Is cake, bread and sandwich your favorites?At the best of times - what does it mean?Usage of "such as to"I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidatesPronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?Usage of "admit"