characterized by a high degree; highly concentrated
intensive
impressive
small
slantwise

Help me with this exercise

Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...) | Usage of "the common man"
Help me with this exercise #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 15:06 pm   Help me with this exercise

Hello'
Please help me with the exercise below:
1/They wandered around in circles for an hour before finally admitting they were well and......lost.
A.throughly B.completely C.truly D.utterly
Please tell me the answer which you think is the most suitable and please explain it for me.
_________________
Don't see your shade think you are great
Duc

Help me with this exercise #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 15:18 pm   Help me with this exercise

A, B and C would all be equally good, depending on what the speaker or writer intends to say. C is not as good, but it could work also.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Help me with this exercise #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 15:33 pm   Help me with this exercise

.
I see no problem with D, either.
.
_________________

Help me with this exercise #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 15:35 pm   Help me with this exercise

Hi, Jamie.

Are you saying that "utterly lost" does not sound right ?
(
My Goodle research produced these results:
They were thoroughly lost 105
They were completely lost 3,780
They were truly lost 444
They were utterly lost 790

)

Help me with this exercise #5 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 15:39 pm   Help me with this exercise

Alex, I simply forgot to mention that D is also good.

It's C that I found a bit iffy.

I feel sorry for these Vietnamese students having to do these messed-up exercises, where you're supposed to choose the correct answer and all the answers are correct.

is it necessary to use "there are"?Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Burning comma questionThe best way to inscribe a diary?Construction: as ... as he/him?"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"role of anyoneAre or Is cake, bread and sandwich your favorites?At the best of times - what does it mean?I've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"So difficult to understand! When she came a clear first out of the 530 candidatesPronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?