intelligence; ability to think in a clever manner
shrewdness
visitor
dealer
detail

Don't drink and drive

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

look forward to sleeping in | The meaning of "for"???
Don't drink and drive #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2005 16:44 pm   Don't drink and drive

Test No. incompl/elem-3 "Drive carefully", question 1

You must not drink and then ......... a car.

(a) lead
(b) drive
(c) take
(d) guide

Test No. incompl/elem-3 "Drive carefully", answer 1

You must not drink and then drive a car.

Correct answer: (b) drive
_________________________

what is the answer?

rica
rica

Don't drink and drive #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2005 21:48 pm   Don't drink and drive

The answer is drive:

You must not drink and then drive a car. You probably know the slogan Don't drink and drive?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Methods of transportation

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Don't drink and drive #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 14:25 pm   Don't drink and drive

Can we convert it to the IF condition ...
If you want to drive a car then better not to drink.
If you had drink then better not to drive a car.
Anubala

Don't drink and drive #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 03, 2008 21:23 pm   Don't drink and drive

anubala wrote:

Hi Anubala,

Your conditional phrases could work, with some changes. As you write them, they do sound like a proverb, but they sound unnatural.

1) If you want to drive (a car), then better not to drink.

This sentence is grammatically ok, but it doesn't sound quite natural. It sounds a bit archaic or stilted.

2) If you had drink, then better not drive (a car).

As you wrote the sentence, again you can use drink as a non-count noun, and be correct, but it sounds strange. It sounds like you're trying to force a normal sentence into a proverb. Again, not necessarily incorrect, but certainly not natural sounding.

I think what's happening is that you're trying to take a slogan or proverb, which often do have a slightly stilted or odd sound to them (and is acceptable, because we except them to sound slightly off, as that's what helps make them memorable) and turn it into a conditional, which I think if normally used more with plain speech. When you try to mix them, they sound kind of strange.

It's certainly fine to use the conditionals, but I'd suggest using them in a more colloquial manner.

To slightly modify your examples into what sounds as natural flowing speech, you could say:

1) If you want to drive a car, then you'd better not drink/have anything to drink/have a drink.

2) If you had a drink, then you'd better not drive (a car).

Hope that helps.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

Don't drink and drive #5 (permalink) Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:39 am   Don't drink and drive

thanks skrej ...
Anubala

Don't drink and drive #6 (permalink) Sun Oct 26, 2008 14:44 pm   Don't drink and drive

I'm very happy because I had 10 answers out of 10 correctly :P.
Ioni

Don't drink and drive #7 (permalink) Fri Nov 21, 2008 16:51 pm   Don't drink and drive

I got ten out of ten but in second attemp.
Sparrow

Don't drink and drive #8 (permalink) Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 am   Don't drink and drive

yes Torsten that's easy if you knew the slogan
about the don'ts of driving. the test is easy though i got 8 out of ten.
But i think it's fair enough, we're just starting... and i enjoyed it very much.
Ana Marie

Location: Philippines

Don't drink and drive #9 (permalink) Fri Jul 10, 2009 14:16 pm   Don't drink and drive

why didnt we use 'take' instead of drive??
"you must not drink and then take a car'
Sagarika

Don't drink and drive #10 (permalink) Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:28 pm   Don't drink and drive

I very often come across the expression "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow". Could you convert it another way, I don't quite understand the meaning.

TIA, Aleksandra.
Aleksandra

Don't drink and drive #11 (permalink) Thu Aug 27, 2009 15:43 pm   Don't drink and drive

thanks alot
see you
Drmanhcuong

Don't drink and drive #12 (permalink) Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:34 am   Don't drink and drive

"you must not drink and then take a car'...i litle bit confuse in here..
Watie

Location: Indonesia

Don't drink and drive #13 (permalink) Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:09 am   Don't drink and drive

'Taking a car' is not necessarily driving it yourself; if you do not drive it, you can be drunk.
_________________

Don't drink and drive #14 (permalink) Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:35 am   Don't drink and drive

hi Torsten,
the test is easy that's why I got 9 out of 10.
Cheemas

Don't drink and drive #15 (permalink) Sun Jan 24, 2010 16:14 pm   Don't drink and drive

Dear Torsten,

I've done my 2.test my score was: 10:10.

Now I am describing to you why I can send my letter in the last minute. Why didn't have a free minute to deal with English?
We invited guests for Saturday lunch.As some of my guests were Jewish we decided that we would make an authentic Jewish lunch. The first was a goose soup with matzoh dumplings.The soup was made from the wings,neck,back, tail-end of the goose and from its giblets.
After there was a Shabbat Cholent. Its ingredients: white beens,pearl barleys,smoking goose leg, chunks of smoking goose breast, and one egg to every person,gloves, red paprika powder, pepper and little salt.You have to prepare the beens and the other ingredients in a tin and you can begin to cook in the oven at least for 10-12 hours.
/Previously the Jews put it in the oven overnight. Why? Because the Jewish religious prescription forbade to the Jews to work on Saturday. So they prepared their Cholent and took it away to the baker's who put it in the oven overnight and they brought home the ready cholent in Saturday. So they could keep their religious prescriptions/
But I come back our lunch. We still baked a milk loaf. And we made a stuffed goose neck.People use only the skin of the neck and stuffs with something; this is varying according to local custom. We stuffed with minced veal,1 egg,a roll soaked in milk, parsley,pepper and salt when it was stuffed we put in the oven and grilled it till it became red-brown.
After lunch the dessert was fruit cake and coffee.
Preparation of this food needs lot of time and effort. We began with the shopping Thursday morning and we were working till Saturday noon.Not only the cooking but you have to make lot of chores.
Briefly: The Lunch was very good.Our guests had a very good time.
But how much Would I have learnt or written a letter? It was impossible. I missed it because I learn every day but now I couldn't help to leave out 3 days.

Best Wishes:
_________________

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Test incompl/elem-284, User's Answer 9Which answer is right?finance chargesIt should be "What are you doing here?"What is the meaning of hikes?meaning of spring'What does NATO stand for' vs 'Where does NATO stand for?'Difference between why and what?What does "up to his ears in" mean?Why do you use what instead of which?'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)''mail for one thousand dollars' vs. 'mail with...'Meaning of "make a go of things"