Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to take money from the bank; to retire; to remove
connote
treat
misunderstand
withdraw
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expression "the gig/jig is up" | Difference between chip and cut
listening exercises
What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once? #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 14, 2008 16:07 pm   What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #546 "English Slang Idioms (149)", question 5

When his wife asked him why he was willing to sell their house at a loss and move to another country just for a job, he told her, "This job is our ticket to making serious money and early retirement. I have to take it. ......... knocks but once."

(a) Chance
(b) Fate
(c) Winning the lottery
(d) Oppurtunity

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #546 "English Slang Idioms (149)", answer 5

When his wife asked him why he was willing to sell their house at a loss and move to another country just for a job, he told her, "This job is our ticket to making serious money and early retirement. I have to take it. Oppurtunity knocks but once."

Correct answer: (d) Oppurtunity

what is the correct answer ? give me explanation

mansour abdellah
mansour abdellah

What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once? #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 14, 2008 16:45 pm   What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once?

Hello MA,

"Opportunity knocks but once" is a well-known proverb.

("Chance knocks but once" is also sometimes heard, but it is much less well known; while "Fate" tends to knock more than once, as at the beginning of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5.)

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once? #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 14, 2008 20:36 pm   What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once?

Note also MrP's correction of the spelling: opportunity.

(The test contains a typo.)

What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once? #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 am   What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once?

That typo has been fixed.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Expression "the gig/jig is up" | Difference between chip and cut
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
what is pedestals?I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?what is the meaning og intelligibly?what's the difference between farther and further?What are elements of organizational behavior?Does one use quotation marks or underline for a well-known musical play?Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"Idiom "Are we all set to go?"meaning of "Mow my lawn""native speaker" vs "natural speaker"what is the meaning of sparse?Phrase "little peace and halt at the office"meaning of "Are you alright?"