Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

garbage; trash; waste
resume
traffic
refuse
daily
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
what's the difference between farther and further? | what is the meaning og intelligibly?
listening exercises
Expression "He/She is a total alley cat" #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 17, 2008 19:04 pm   Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #421 "English Slang Idioms (161)", question 9

"I saw you with Steve the other night. You shouldn't date him. He is a total ......... cat. He has dated almost everyone in this town often at the same time -- unbeknownst to them," Grace told Katie.

(a) feral
(b) house
(c) pole
(d) alley

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #421 "English Slang Idioms (161)", answer 9

"I saw you with Steve the other night. You shouldn't date him. He is a total alley cat. He has dated almost everyone in this town often at the same time -- unbeknownst to them," Grace told Katie.

Correct answer: (d) alley

This question is complicated could you explain more?

Romale
Romale

Expression "He/She is a total alley cat" #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 17, 2008 22:46 pm   Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"

Hello Romale,

The initial statement implies that Steve has a lot of girlfriends, and they don't know about each other.

The answers mean:

(a) feral cat - a domestic cat that is living wild, probably in a town or city.
(b) house cat - a domestic cat.
(c) polecat - an animal related to stoats and weasels, a picture of which can be found here.
(d) alley cat - the same as "feral cat"; but with an implication of noisy fighting and mating.

Therefore the answer is (d), as Steve likes to enjoy himself.

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression "He/She is a total alley cat" #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 23:50 pm   Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"

another word that would fit would be "tomcat" -- assuming you're referring to a male.

"He's a real tomcat: his little black book is absolutely filled with women's digits."

Expression "He/She is a total alley cat" #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 23:53 pm   Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"

I wouldn't like to find women's digits in a book.

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression "He/She is a total alley cat" #5 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 23:54 pm   Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"

hehe

Romale, "digits" is popular American slang for "phone number(s)".

"I got that girl's digits." = "I got that girl's phone number."

what's the difference between farther and further? | what is the meaning og intelligibly?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
difference between slang language and slang idiom meaningAs tall as them or as tall as they?meaning of "business wise"What does 'cup of joe' mean?What does 'crackerjack box' mean?meaning of revotewhat is pedestals?I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?What are elements of organizational behavior?Does one use quotation marks or underline for a well-known musical play?Idiom "Are we all set to go?"meaning of "Mow my lawn""native speaker" vs "natural speaker"