Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to move backward; to go back; to return to a previous condition
compartmentalize
speed
catalog
regress
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

what's the difference between farther and further?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What are elements of organizational behavior? | Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"
listening exercises
what's the difference between farther and further? #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 13:52 pm   what's the difference between farther and further?

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Guided tour", question 9

Oh dear! Now in front of you, you can see a very big rock lying in the middle of the road and that means we cannot go on any more far.

(a) lying
(b) road
(c) more far

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Guided tour", answer 9

Oh dear! Now in front of you, you can see a very big rock lying in the middle of the road and that means we cannot go on any further.

Correct entry: further
The error was: (c) more far

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
Oh dear! Now in front of you, you can see a very big rock lying in the middle of the road and that means we cannot go on any farther.

what's the difference between farther and further?

Feodora
Feodora

what's the difference between farther and further? #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 14:30 pm   what's the difference between farther and further?

Nothing really anymore. Some grammarians insist on 'farther' for physical distances and 'further' for conceptual or metaphorical distances, but corpus searches show that both words are used for both.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
what's the difference between farther and further? #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 18:55 pm   what's the difference between farther and further?

Hi,

I think the point is that 'farther' is less used, perhaps. It's a bit like 'It's me' and 'It's I'. Most people would say: 'It's me' and in the same vein there is a preference for 'further' both in greater distance and greater amount.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

what's the difference between farther and further? #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 23:32 pm   what's the difference between farther and further?

I am one who subscribes to the "farther: distance" and "further: figurative/conceptual" split.

But whether logic supports it or it's a case of misuse becoming accepted usage, it seems that, yes, they're used more or less interchangeably these days.

To support the "farther: distance" opinion, all I have to do is point to the definition of the root:

far

What does far mean? Does far refer to distance?

Conversely, what is "fur"?

there you go.

hehe

This is out there, but what the hayell:

Some denizens of the American South pronounce "farther" like "further".

I wonder if, at some point, people just got tired of spelling the word differently than they pronounced it, leading ultimately to an alternate spelling: further.

lol

Yeah, right, the American South created "further".

What are elements of organizational behavior? | Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
As tall as them or as tall as they?meaning of "business wise"What does 'cup of joe' mean?What does 'crackerjack box' mean?meaning of revotewhat is pedestals?I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?what is the meaning og intelligibly?Does one use quotation marks or underline for a well-known musical play?Idiom "Are we all set to go?"meaning of "Mow my lawn""native speaker" vs "natural speaker"Expression "the gig/jig is up"