to deposit money; in a money institution; to count on; to depend upon
strengthen
construe
bank
index

I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?

what is the meaning og intelligibly? | what is pedestals?
I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'? #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:52 am   I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?

ESL/EFL Test #242 "A Sticky Moment", question 3

With this in mind and for his own self-respect he was determined to stick ......... it.

(a) at
(b) to
(c) by
(d) into

ESL/EFL Test #242 "A Sticky Moment", answer 3

With this in mind and for his own self-respect he was determined to stick at it.

Correct answer: (a) at

With this in mind and for his own self-respect he was determined to stick to it.
_________________________

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'? #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 am   I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?

'Stick to' would mainly refer to adhesion in contrast to 'stick at' which has the sense of persistence..

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
what is factor conditions?What does the work hedge mean in the business sector?difference between slang language and slang idiom meaningAs tall as them or as tall as they?meaning of "business wise"What does 'cup of joe' mean?What does 'crackerjack box' mean?meaning of revotewhat's the difference between farther and further?What are elements of organizational behavior?Does one use quotation marks or underline for a well-known musical play?Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"Idiom "Are we all set to go?"