amount of money that has been borrowed; something borrowed; act of giving temporarily
creditor
loan
point
expectation

expression 'going balls to the wall'

they're back to the basics again | Object vs. subject
expression 'going balls to the wall' #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 am   expression 'going balls to the wall'

I can't believe I made it up that hill on my dirt bike. I was at full throttle the whole way and going balls to the ..........

(a) court
(b) chain
(c) bats
(d) wall

I can't believe I made it up that hill on my dirt bike. I was at full throttle the whole way and going balls to the wall.

Correct answer: (d) wall

I can't believe I made it up that hill on my dirt bike. I was at full throttle the whole way and going balls to the court.
_________________________

Please explain the expression 'going balls to the wall'

Priya Raghavan
Priya Raghavan

Explanation of "going balls to the wall" #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:54 am   Explanation of "going balls to the wall"

Hi Priya,
The phrase "going balls to the wall" refers to going all out/putting in a big effort to complete a task/project/action. It originated as an aviation term that refers to the throttle of a plane that has ball-like grips. Basically, the more you push, the closer the balls get to the front of the plane (the wall) and, thus, the farther/faster you go.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
expression 'going balls to the wall' #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 16, 2012 13:25 pm   expression 'going balls to the wall'

3 explanations about "balls to the wall"

1.I was at full throttle(= as fast as possible)the whole way and going balls to the wall.=refers to going all out/putting in a big effort to complete a task/project/action.

2.When a pilot wants full power, he moves the throttle (=like an accelerator in a car but it is in an aeroplane) in a forward towards the front wall of the cockpit. Thus, "balls to the walls" meant "full power".

3.Wow, So I didn't know that the phrase ''balls to the wall'' actually means 'push to the limits'

Similar idiom:
go to the wall (for somebody/something)=
=to do as much as is possible

-Friends and colleagues were ready to go to the wall for Hal, but he didn't want anyone's help.[/b]
_________________

sleep that can be interrupted at a moment's noticeWhat does impeachment mean?Mathematics isn't his strong suit.kicking him out?finger vs combCaught with his pants down? = caught redhanded?the ball and chain won't let me? what does this expression mean?ages vs long timestand v.s. sell'Will you please' vs. 'May you please'"get on with" vs. "come up with"Then when 'much of' is used?Difference between access and reach