cereal; seed; granule; particle; texture; weave
story
grain
project
table

meaning of "business wise"

What does 'cup of joe' mean? | What does this expression mean: "to be upset"?
meaning of "business wise" #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:55 am   meaning of "business wise"

ESL/EFL Test #179 "Doing business: expressions with the word business", question 8

Our ......... attitude is reserved entirely for the way we behave at work.

(a) business wise
(b) business card
(c) businesswoman
(d) businesslike

ESL/EFL Test #179 "Doing business: expressions with the word business", answer 8

Our businesslike attitude is reserved entirely for the way we behave at work.

Correct answer: (d) businesslike
_________________________

I am not clear of the meaning of "business wise"
Businesslike could be the answer, though.

What is business wise and how do you use?

Thank you
Anibal
Anibal

meaning of "business wise" #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 20, 2008 19:35 pm   meaning of "business wise"

Hi Anibal

I would expect to see that written as one word rather than as two. In that case, the word 'wise' would be used as a suffix:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=-wise&r=66

For example, someone might use this as a simple, general greeting:
- "How are you?"

However, if they added businesswise to the end of that question, it would be more specific and would mean that they want to know how you are as it relates to business:
- "How are you businesswise?"
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
what is factor conditions?"It's seems" vs "It seems"is sales a debit or a credit?What does the work hedge mean in the business sector?Expression "felt like to doing"difference between slang language and slang idiom meaningwhat is wee?As tall as them or as tall as they?What does 'crackerjack box' mean?meaning of revotewhat is pedestals?I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?what is the meaning og intelligibly?