Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

reaping; gathering in of crops; outcome; product
wallet
voyage
harvest
fulfillment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9 | screen vs fritz
listening exercises
meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:53 am   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #291 "English Slang Idioms (13)", question 5

He knew it would take a hot ......... to get his paperwork processed by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

(a) time
(b) day
(c) potato
(d) minute

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #291 "English Slang Idioms (13)", answer 5

He knew it would take a hot minute to get his paperwork processed by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Correct answer: (d) minute

Your answer was: incorrect
He knew it would take a hot time to get his paperwork processed by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Hi
What's the meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."?
Thanks,

Englishholic
English_holic

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 pm   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

Hello E.,

It seems to mean "intense activity within a very short period of time".

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 30, 2008 20:40 pm   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

It is my understanding that this slang expression ("hot minute") is currently used to mean either "a long period of time" or "a very short period of time". :?

However, based on my experience with the Department of Motor Vehicles in several different states here in the US, I assume that "take a hot minute" is intended to mean "take a long time" in this sentence.

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 30, 2008 22:12 pm   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

That makes more sense.
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #5 (permalink) Sun Aug 31, 2008 0:44 am   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

Is this a new slang? I must admit I had never heard of this before ???
Diverhank
I'm here quite often ;-)

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #6 (permalink) Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:14 am   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

Hi DH

I'd never heard it before, either, so I did some research online and also asked around. In my neck of the woods, some people thought they remembered having heard it somewhere, but could not tell me for sure whether it means "a long time" or "a short time". The expression does not seem to be one that is in widespread use in my area.

My online research suggested that of the people who'd heard the expression, many either weren't sure of or disagreed on the meaning. Of the people who say they're sure of the meaning, more apparently think it means "a long period of time" or "a while" (though there are also people who seem to be equally sure it means "a short time"). The three people who have posted definitions in the Urban Dictionary also suggest "a long period of time" or "a while".

Just out of curiosity, do you associate the idea of paperwork completion at the DMV with the idea of bureaucratic sluggishness? Or have you been more fortunate? :lol:

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #7 (permalink) Fri Jul 26, 2013 22:55 pm   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

72 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello
I was looking for this expression but I didn't find in any dictionary only near a Flicr pic:

Setting up shop at the new studio...gonna take a hot minute: so this means that setting up a shop at new studio...it is time consuming/ it takes up a great deal of time/ it is ( may be) a drain on our time/ trespass (up)on our time

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #8 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2015 17:17 pm   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

a hot minute = a frantic minute ? (the assumption from somebody from USA)
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #9 (permalink) Thu Nov 05, 2015 19:01 pm   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

Please see the answer given by Yankee in message #3 above.

This expression does not seem to be in common use right across the English speaking countries of the world.
Language Coach

meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..." #10 (permalink) Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:35 am   meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."

"It would take a hot minute-expression" - After a long while, it seemed to me unfamiliar.
It can be true the saying : "Practice makes perfect ".as I have read the dispute again and I decided it can mean a "a long period of time" or "a very short period of time".

SO:: a hot minute means for me , ="the long period of time" or "a very short period of time".

Many thanks for the possibility to be able to face with the past.

Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9 | screen vs fritz
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppedWhat is the meaning of "hold any stock"?Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsUrgent need.It's about nounsa little vs. a bitplaying with a full deck of cardsIf I were you? Subjuntive?odvious vs obviousExpression: "Yes, I'll hold"why correct answer is road why not others?"on earth" vs. "on the earth"